cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motor stops during ramp-up

RKeny
Associate II

I could use some help in getting my motor controller through starting the motor. It tries, but always fails to completely start up.

I'm working on developing a custom motor control demonstrator board, built with discrete components in the power stage. I've been trying to get it going with a small motor (the Bull Running BR2804), but no matter what I try, I can't get it to run properly. The system performs motor alignment correctly and starts to spin the motor, but then it stops towards the end of the initial acceleration phase. The board whines for a short time after the motor stops, and the control panel in the workbench software still displays an increase in speed, which makes me think the motor is being run open-loop. With the current configuration (below), the motor stops about 5 seconds after i start it, then the board appears to detect this at about 7 seconds, and the control panel indicates a start-up error.

My setup is as follows:

Startup

0690X000008A7kBQAS.png

Drive settings

0690X000008A7kkQAC.png

MCU params

0690X000008A7lOQAS.png

Phase current params

0690X000008A7n6QAC.png

Speed sensing params

0690X000008A7neQAC.png

Power stage current sensing

0690X000008A7wlQAC.png

I'm running the software on an STM32F407VET6. It's being built in Keil uVision 5, I think using a trial copy. I've adjusted the target MCU in the build settings, but haven't made any other changes. Incidentally, I've noticed that the project didn't appear to build in TRUEStudio. It seems to have a problem with the generated project, and fails to find a lot of included files.

If anyone can offer any suggestions or advice, I'll be very grateful.

4 REPLIES 4
Claire O.
ST Employee

Dear customer,

How did you proceed to built your own custom project in the MC workbench?

Usually, we advise to start from an project based on ST board with same MCU than your final custom board (in your case: STM3240G-EVAL should fit) and to modify it. The AN5166 accessible from MC workbench documentation part should help.

Did you follow this process?

Thanks,

Claire

Thanks for your response. No, I didn't follow that process, as I wasn't aware that it was a recommendation. I selected a custom control and power stage in the new project dialog, and then set up parameters for the project using the options various windows in the workbench. I'll try rebuilding it as you suggest and see what happens.

I've rebuilt the project according to your suggestion, and now I'm seeing a different problem. The motor starts sometimes, but not every time, and accelerates, but then gets a speed feedback error and incorrectly reads the speed as the maximum the motor is set to. The project does now compile in TRUEStudio though, which is helpful. The project was the default settings, other than adjusting parameters to match the hardware I have.

Laurent Ca...
Lead II

The question has been moved from the section "Motor Control Hardware" to the "STM32 Motor Control" section (the question is about the STM32 MC SDK). 

Best regards