cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAL_Delay works and doesn't work

NNar
Associate II

I'm still very new to STM32 processors, and using CubeMX to generate my basic code structure (for TrueStudio). In the code below, if I uncomment code section A, the yellow LED blinks, but not evenly...

• At low values such HAL_Delay(100), the high time is always 100 or 101ms, but the low time is sometimes 100ms and sometimes 87ms.
  • At higher values, such as HAL_Delay(500), the high time is consistently 390ms and low time is less than 1ms.
  • Using HAL_Delay(1000) instead gives me the same results as HAL_Delay(500);

What am I missing here?

Now, if I comment out section A, so that section B runs, the red LED comes on, but then the code hangs at the HAL_Delay(1000) so the yellow LED never comes on. If I drop that to HAL_Delay(100), the red LED comes on again, but the yellow LED blinks at approx 2.5Hz. There are no other timers or interrupts running.

I don't know what to check next. If this is somehow expected behaviour, which doc explains how this is supposed to work?

Thanks

/* USER CODE BEGIN 2 */

//  HAL_TIM_Base_Start_IT(&htim17);

// Code section A...
  while (1)
  {
	  HAL_GPIO_TogglePin(IENC1_GPIO_Port, IENC1_Pin);		// Toggle yellow LED
	  HAL_Delay(500);
  }

// Code section B...
  HAL_GPIO_WritePin(IENC0_GPIO_Port, IENC0_Pin, GPIO_PIN_SET);		// Red LED on
  HAL_Delay(1000);
  HAL_GPIO_WritePin(IENC1_GPIO_Port, IENC1_Pin, GPIO_PIN_SET);		// Yellow LED on
  while(1);

4 REPLIES 4

HAL_Delay typically depends on the SysTick interrupt, that it fires and is configured correctly. Usually via HAL_Init()

I'd suspect the tool chain or generated code.

Review what else is on the pin.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
S.Ma
Principal

If you use HAL_Delay inside an interrupt routine, havok behaviour may be seen. Check your ISRs and callbacks if any outside the shared code extract.

NNar
Associate II

Thanks Clive. I completely re-created the project in CubeMX in a new directory, with a new name. All I have set is SWD enabled and 2 outputs for the LEDs. And I set the FCLK to 48MHz. Image below shows what I have. That's all. No other timers or peripherals enabled. Same exact behaviour.

I'm going to see if I can download an older version of CubeF0 to see if that makes a difference.

NNar
Associate II

I have no interrupts set. See my response below to Clive about my configuration.

Thanks.