cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any news about possible STM32F720 and STM32H740 variants?

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

As discussed here, export restrictions because of encryption hardware impose much effort procuring STM32F730 and STM32H750. The question came up several times about possible STM32F720 and STM32H740 variants, but I did not see any comment from ST.

3 REPLIES 3

Why are those archaic restriction even in place? Encryption in software is accessible to everybody today thanks to free software, so what's so special about hardware level encryption apart from better speed and maybe less possibilities for side-channel and timing attacks?

Also how's that Intel, for example, can sell their processors implementing AES-NI without any restrictions worldwide, while ST cat not do the same? See Crypto Wars.

Andreas Bolsch
Lead II

Actually, the current restrictions can't be relateted to encryption engine only. I got some F730 chips (LQFP64) without hazzle from Mouser, but in the same instance order for STM32F7308-DK was declined due to export restrictions. The UFBGA-176 seems to be restricted, too.

Maybe for each (even package) variant the distributors need an individual permit on file, and either ST or the distributors don't bother to apply for that for each and every single item, or the US export control authority isn't through all applications yet ...

That's ironic, because my STM32F7308-DK boards shipped out of the EU.

Right now Farnell/Newark give me the most grief shipping from UK warehouses.

Would agree this is all massively stupid given the proliferation of crypto.

I'd hope the H750/H740 would be available in a 144 pin LQFP

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..