cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I am trying to obtain values from potentiomater which is connected to PA0 (ADC channel 0), through ADC.

BMoha.19.45
Associate II

However, the values that I obtain (I show them on LCD display) are not only inconsistent, but also the potentiometer's rotation doesn't effect the value? I have searched a lot and tried different ways but I couldn't find the problem in my code. Please, can you help me where I did wrong? I have attached the related part of the code with comments.

GPIOA->MODER |= GPIO_MODER_MODE0_Msk; //Set as PA0 as Analog Mode

RCC->APB2ENR |= RCC_APB2ENR_ADC1EN; //Enable the ADC clock

ADC1->SQR1 = 0x00000000; //1 Convertion
ADC1->SQR2 = 0x00000000; 
ADC1->SQR3 = 0x00000000; //0'th channel will be converted first

ADC1->SMPR2 = 0x00000005; //sampling time - 112 cycles
ADC1->CR2 |= ADC_CR2_CONT_Msk; //Enable continious mode
ADC1->CR1 &= ~(ADC_CR1_SCAN_Msk); //Disable Scan mode
ADC1->CR2 |= ADC_CR2_ADON; //Enable ADC

while(1)
{
	ADC1->CR2 |= ADC_CR2_SWSTART_Msk; //Start convertion
	LCDSendAnInteger((ADC1->DR), 7); //Display value in LCD
	notExactTimeDelay(1000000);
	LCDClearDisplay();
}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This bit clears by HW as soon as the conversion starts.

It is impossible to observe this transition (or to record it) with STLink onboard debugger.

By the way i don't see if GPIOA's. clock is enabled.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

What STM32? What board?

Read back the GPIO and ADC registers content and check.

JW

S.Ma
Principal

Make sure no pull-up/down resistor activated, ADC calibration was done, and put a decoupling cap at the ADC input pin to avoid voltage droop during sampling time. What value is your potentiometer? ADC input should be low impedence.

Thank you for your answer. I use STM32F407VG discovery board. I read the datasheet many times and check each registers' content very carefully, but no effect.

Thank you for your answer. I use STM32f407VG discovery board and it does ADC calibration automatically. My potentiometer value is 10k.

S.Ma
Principal

Add a cap to ground on adc input pin to stabilize the voltage, 100nF maybe? When sampling the adc briefly looks like RC filter R about 3kohm and discharged cap of few pF

Is my code above alright? Because, even when I unplug the jumper cable from PA0 it shows the same values.

brian239955_stm1
Associate III

You are trying to display the conversion result before the conversion is complete. You need something like -

while(ADC_GetFlagStatus(ADC1, ADC_FLAG_EOC) == RESET) {

;

}

before reading ADC1->DR and sending to the LCD.

> You are trying to display the conversion result before the conversion is complete.

True, but for a continuous conversion, this doesn't make much of a difference. Except for the lag.

But waiting for the conversion result (as suggested) and reducing the delay would make a more responsive display.

But in your place, I would swap to another AIN channel. PA0 on the F4 Discovery is connected to the User Button.

I added the while loop and also change the channel to channel 1, but the same :pensive_face: