cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAFERTOS & STM32F7 vs STM32H7

ranran
Senior II

Hello,

Is it possible to use STM32F746 based application with STM32H743 board ?

What we actually need is to use SAFERTOS with stm32h743.

The problem is that HighIntegritySystems seems to provide safeRTOS demos only with STM32H7 (according to their web site), and so for example I see:

1. startup_stm32F746xx.c
  2. system_stm32f7xx.c
  3. IAR_STM32F7_SAFERTOS_LIB.a
  4. HAL source (probably for STM32H7)

Do you think it can work with STM32H7 ?

Thank you,

ranran

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

>>Can you please give some hints ?

You're building a "safety" system, that seems like a dangerous path if you don't have a handle on the end-to-end issues, yourself, or tightly within your team. Perhaps SAFERTOS provides support, consulting and porting services?

>>I see that both chips are quite the same.

They are entirely different. They both use a CM7, and diverge from there. The busing, memory, peripherals and debug are different. On balance I think the architectures are significantly more different than the same.

You'd want to use the right vector table, interrupt code and clock/bus startup code.

The library file might work, provided it has no external dependencies, and does nothing internally that is not generic to all CM7 parts. Expectations on memory regions and MPU setting would concern me. You'd want to review what exactly is in the library.

If it links to HAL API functions, be concerned about parameters and bit fields that might not be consistent between F7 and H7 implementations. Turn on asserts to catch issues while you validate the port.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

>>Do you think it can work with STM32H7 ?

No

ranran
Senior II

Thank you Clive for the quick reply .

Yet, I see that both chips are quite the same.

Can you please give some hints why it shouldn't work ?

Thanks,

ranran

>>Can you please give some hints ?

You're building a "safety" system, that seems like a dangerous path if you don't have a handle on the end-to-end issues, yourself, or tightly within your team. Perhaps SAFERTOS provides support, consulting and porting services?

>>I see that both chips are quite the same.

They are entirely different. They both use a CM7, and diverge from there. The busing, memory, peripherals and debug are different. On balance I think the architectures are significantly more different than the same.

You'd want to use the right vector table, interrupt code and clock/bus startup code.

The library file might work, provided it has no external dependencies, and does nothing internally that is not generic to all CM7 parts. Expectations on memory regions and MPU setting would concern me. You'd want to review what exactly is in the library.

If it links to HAL API functions, be concerned about parameters and bit fields that might not be consistent between F7 and H7 implementations. Turn on asserts to catch issues while you validate the port.

You're right, they seem to be develop now a support package for STM32H7 too.

Thanks

MikeDB
Lead

given the F407 is a M4 core and the H7 is an M7 core, whilst it may run or be fairly easily ported, it certainly won't be proven safe in a legal sense until the producer says so.