cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if the ST25R3916 is compatible with NXP's tag/reader?

andrew liu
Associate II

Hello

I am gonna use ST25R3916 for NFC in our products, but I am wondering that if the ST25R3916 is compatible with NXP's tag/reader? I remember that NXP's tag/reader has it's own encryption for communication... so I worry that ST25R3916 can't communicate with NXP's tag/reader.....

thanks;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi Andrew,

In the ST25R* reference software software ST does not implement any cryptography.

ST knows that cryptography schemes like TripleDES/Desfire or Crypto1 (needed for Mifare (TM) ) can be implemented on top of the ST25R chips. So these tags are supported but you will need to implement the cryptography on your own.

Regards, Ulysses

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Carlo Corlattoni
ST Employee

​Hello,

ST25R3916 and ST25R3911B supports different tag technologies and standards as featured in the datasheet. The ICs do support the required frames to be sent and received, but we do not provide and support software for NXP's encryption schemes.

BR, Carlo

andrew liu
Associate II

Hello Carlo:

Thanks for your answer;

Here are some more questions:

1): as we know, in the read/write process of NXP's MIFARE tag such as MF1S50YYX_V1, it need for authentication for start, I noticed that in the datasheet of ST25R3916 it says"Low level modes to implement MIFARE® Classic compliant or other custom protocols(page1)",

does it means that ST25R3916 can communicate smoothly with NXP's MIFARE tag such as MF1S50YYX_V1?

2): does ST25R3916 support most popular NFC reader/tag in the world? or does ST25R3916 can communicate smoothly with most popular NFC reader/tag in the world? such as NXP's, TI's, or other brand's?

Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi Andrew,

In the ST25R* reference software software ST does not implement any cryptography.

ST knows that cryptography schemes like TripleDES/Desfire or Crypto1 (needed for Mifare (TM) ) can be implemented on top of the ST25R chips. So these tags are supported but you will need to implement the cryptography on your own.

Regards, Ulysses