cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M41T81S – How to handle RTC Oscillator Stop/Fail Bits

Central SUPPORT
Senior II

In Datasheet Table 5 it says that the Oscillator Fail bit OF (Clock register: bit 2 of address 0Fh) starts at “1�? after initial power-up. So, in this case (or whenever when I find OF bit at “1�?) I will have to restart the oscillator by pulsing Oscillator Stop bit ST (Clock register: bit 7 of address 01h) resp, write “1�?, then “0�?.

Then it says that I have to wait another 4 seconds before clearing OF bit. Is this a must?

0690X00000895WvQAI.png

NOTE: This question and answer originated from a customer support case which was handled by us. We regularly review support cases and add any helpful ones here for all to benefit from.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Central SUPPORT
Senior II

Technically, you can clear the OF bit without waiting 4 sec, but it can happen that system will set it again if the oscillator is not stable yet.

Refer to AN3060 “Applications guide for serial real-time clocks (RTCs)�?, chapter 6.1 for more details.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Central SUPPORT
Senior II

Technically, you can clear the OF bit without waiting 4 sec, but it can happen that system will set it again if the oscillator is not stable yet.

Refer to AN3060 “Applications guide for serial real-time clocks (RTCs)�?, chapter 6.1 for more details.