cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-C with STUSB4500 - get power from laptop

hcls
Associate II

Hello 🙂

This USB-C is confusing me. According the standard you should be able to receive or to send power. I am using the STEVAL-ISC005V1 Eval board form ST. Unfortunately the PD2 and the PD3 line is not active if I plug the device into a Laptop.

So my question: How to configure Windows to act as a power source?

A short google search showed always results about on how to load your laptop with the USB-C port but not on how to act as a 20V power source.

Is it possible to get 100 Watts out of a USB-C plug from a Laptop?

Thanks for you answers.

Cheers,

Chris

2 REPLIES 2
Benoit FORET
ST Employee

​Hello Chris,

USB-C standard allows indeed to implement many features, but not all are mandatory (because it is not useful for some application, or because it would cost too much). Latest laptops I have seen can be powered directly from 20V power source, and on the same port, are able to provide 5V. But 100W is definitely too much for a portable device whose battery is not big enough (except maybe dedicated and high ends power banks). Some high end smartphones are able to source 9V.

rgds,

Benoit

hcls
Associate II

Hi Benoit

Thanks for your reply.

Well that's also what I think, most manufacturers just implement a little part of the whole standard :). In my eyes it would make a lot of sense to power a device, let's say a printer, from your laptop if you just want to print one paper. Therefore you could save the power cable of the printer.

Anyhow, Windows does not support this at all as far as I understood. Else I would need to choose if I plug in my phone on the laptop whether I want to send (charge the phone) or receive (charge the laptop) energy.

Is it possible to find out if the laptop is supporting to act as a USB-C PD Source? I mean if the laptop specifies USB-C 3.2 compliance seams not to be enough.

Regards

Chris