cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What firmware to flash so the STM32WB board can be used with CubeMonitor-RF

RSchm
Associate

I have got an STM32WB55 DK and i would like to use it with the CubeMonitor-RF.

I flashed the image for the co-processor but i am not sure which firmware for the main processor. I flashed the BLE Transparent Mode Application Firmware but the CubeMonitor-RF can not connect to the UART.

Thanks for your support!

11 REPLIES 11
stephane.legargeant
ST Employee

​Hello

You are right, the transparent mode firmware must be used for the main processor :

- BLE_TransparentMode for Nucleo board,

- BLE_TransparentModeVCP for the USB dongle.

Wireless stack for co processor is stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_fw.bin (not the HCI one)

Point to check :

The uart should be visibile in the computer, if not the driver may be missing.

On Linux computer the modemmanager may take control of the uart. User need to wait some time before connecting (or disable modemmanager)

If you problem is not solved, ca you give more details ? (What OS is used, is it a dongle or nucleo, do you see the uart ? )

Best regards

Stephane

RSchm
Associate

Thanks for the Help.

For the dongle:

• Flashing the co processor i am getting the following error
Updating firmware ...
Waiting for firmware upgrade end

RSS state is WIRELESS_STACK_UPGRADE_ONGOING

RSS status is RSS_NO_ERROR

RSS state is WIRELESS_STACK_UPGRADE_ONGOING

RSS status is RSS_IMAGE_NOT_AUTHENTIC
Error: Firmware not authentic!
  • flashing the BLE_TransparentModeVCP with the CubeProgrammer fails, which is also true for the nucleo board, because it cannot write sector 0
Memory Programming ...
10:21:55 : Opening and parsing file: Production.hex
10:21:55 : File : Production.hex
10:21:55 : Size : 53537 Bytes
10:21:55 : Address : 0xFACEB00C
10:21:55 : Download in Progress:
10:22:00 : Error: failed to download Segment[0]
10:22:00 : Error: failed to download the File
10:22:00 : Time elapsed during download operation: 00:00:04.999

For the nucleo:

• i can flash the stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_fw with no error
  • i can also flash the BLE_TransparentMode firmware with the system workbench and start debugging with the onboard st-link. but seems to fail the APPE_Init() and then reboots
  • if i am using the st-link serial usb connection the monitor RF application can not connect to the port or does not receive a respond from the port, depends if i restarted the device after programming
  • the user usb port does not offer a device at all

I am working on a windows 10 machine, drivers seem to be fine since the preloaded example is working fine, dfu mode and st-link are also working

stephane.legargeant
ST Employee

Sorry, I have no idea for the dongle error. I assume you have followed the procedure is in the release note of the copro firmwares (STM32WB_Copro_Wireless_Binaries\Release_Notes.html). Looks like corrupted file. couldbe good to reinstall the package and check the file.  

For the nucleo : can you try to program the nucleo and then run it without debugger/IDE  ? 

When the port is detected, do you see some information in the tool log windows, and do you have a warning message from the tool ?

Best regards

Stephane

RPowe.9.306
Associate III

Hi. I have 2 stm32WB dongles but neither are recognised in the device manager. What driver to I need to install for them to be seen?

stephane.legargeant
ST Employee

​Hello

for the STM32WB USB dongle, you need VCP driver to communicate with the application, and DFU to load software. 

For VCP driver : With windows 10, the native inbox driver should be used. For older windows version, you can use driver STSW-STM32102 from st.com.

For DFU mode (bootloader), the driver should be installed with STM32CubeProgrammer. 

Best regards

RPowe.9.306
Associate III

Sorry, I still don't understand. If I connect an stm32wb dongle (in boot mode) to a windows 10 pc should it appear in the device list? Niether of mine appear in the USB devices.

stephane.legargeant
ST Employee

In the device manager, I see the device "DFU in FS mode" when the dongle is plugged in boot mode  (SW2 moved to "1" side) (in the Universal Serial Bus devices). Do you have some error messages when the device is connected ?

F�?wi
Associate II

I have the same problem, moreover my device was recognized as 256kB variant, not as 1MB. Something is wrong with these dongles, or with firmware?

I've updated FUS to newest version

I have the same problem with the dongle showing only 256KB and not 1MB. Nothing seems to load successfully.

I used the stm32wb5x_FUS_fw.bin file that came with STM32Cube_FW_WB_V1.2.0. That loads OK. But, when loading co-processor firmware, it fails.

I bought 2 STM32WB55 development kits and received another at a seminar. The 256KB, I think, was purchased.

So, I have two dongles with 1MB and they flash correctly.

Also, where do I find the Windows 10 USB driver that shows STM Bootloader in the device driver. I have it on a laptop from a STM32WB55 seminar, but it is not on the desktop. It seems to be a part of the puzzle, too. Thanks