cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32MP157C-DK2 not booting to Weston / GTK demo launcher

matt.s
Associate II

Hello,

I'm trying to evaluate the STM32MP1 using a STM32MP157C-DK2. I followed this getting started guide and successfully flashed the board, even though the archive downloaded has a slightly different name than mentioned in the guide.

I set the boot switches to the on position and reset the board, which is showing the UBoot splash screen. But afterwards it goes dark, no Linux splash screen, Weston desktop or GTK demo launcher to be seen anywhere. The system itselfs seems to work correctly, as pressing the reset button with minicom connect shows (see log attached).

The big LED next to the ST-LINK is constantly red. A small LED close by flashes two times blue, then pauses, followed by another two flashes...

What am I missing here? Shouldn't the board boot to the GTK demo launcher automatically?

Best Regards,

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bernard PUEL
ST Employee

Hi Kolja, thanks for your feedback.

If anyone needs to apply the relative patches on the developer or distribution package, just add these two patches attached to the Kernel patch list (they will be also delivered on Github with the V1.0.2 Minor release).

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Lead

I didn't know the DK2 board is available yet, and have no experience with ST's Linux distro.

But it boots up fine, to a certain point:

root@stm32mp1:~# netdata

root@stm32mp1:~# startx

-sh: startx: command not found

Until it can't find the X windows session startup. Perhaps a path issue ?

"startx" is usually a sript, running xinit.

matt.s
Associate II

I'm not sure if you can buy them already, I picked up a DK2 at this years embedded world.

The boot process is finished after

stm32mp1 login: root (automatic login)

I have entered the commands after this line by hand, to see if the systems reacts as described in the getting started guide.

I'm new to embedded linux and not even sure if this linux distribution is supposed to support the startx command? If not, what's the correct command to start the desktop environment?

> I'm new to embedded linux and not even sure if this linux distribution is supposed to support the startx command?

The whole image (SD card ?) was setup by ST, including the startups scripts.

So, you could expect all required packages to be installed, and run properly. And since the board has a LCD display, it makes sense to run a X Windows session.

> I have entered the commands after this line by hand, to see if the systems reacts as described in the getting started guide.

With a bit of practice, you can work on the board via console (serial terminal), or (better) ethernet (SSH).

I used to edit and build my code on the host, and then transfer it via terminal to the target, and run it. Generations of (now grey bearded) Unix/Linux people worked that way.

You can even edit sources via console, "nano" used to be a comprehensible and lightweight editor.

Or wait for ST staff to get their seemingly deadline pressure - stricken release right.

lsalv
Associate II

I have that board and but I went for Yocto build way, as it's my field ... building the st-image-weston, flashing and trying the python launcher with no issue.

https://community.st.com/s/profile/0050X0000089qR7QAI

Bernard PUEL
ST Employee

Hello Matt,

what you did is perfectly right and you should see the GTK Demo launcher at boot up of your DK2 board.

I have checked all the boot log and I don't see any issue. I am suspecting HW panel issue (even if you could see the u-boot splash screen). I will come back to you with other trials on LCD later on but in the meantime, could you please try the hdmi output ?

You just need to plug a hdmi cable on a TV and reboot the board. The display should switch to the TV and you can still use the touchscreen panel (if it works) or a standard usb mouse to interact with the demo.

Actually on my DK2 everything works but not the HDMI =)

Running this revision:

----------------------------

Project: meta-st-openstlinux

Mount path: /opt/leoStorage/Dev/stm/stm32mp1DK2/openstlinux-4.19-thud-mp1/layers/meta-st/meta-st-openstlinux

Current revision: 4e36cf0c7c7bdb24700a990f73afcda84cdcf0cf

Local Branches: 0

Project: meta-st-stm32mp

Mount path: /opt/leoStorage/Dev/stm/stm32mp1DK2/openstlinux-4.19-thud-mp1/layers/meta-st/meta-st-stm32mp

Current revision: dcc955d6992cc46ce07440caaa5a17942776bbe6

Project: meta-st-stm32mp-addons

Mount path: /opt/leoStorage/Dev/stm/stm32mp1DK2/openstlinux-4.19-thud-mp1/layers/meta-st/meta-st-stm32mp-addons

Current revision: fdaf22bdb1d832893be7b9dc74a4bba0a6ea5065

Project: devicetree-addons

Mount path: /opt/leoStorage/Dev/stm/stm32mp1DK2/openstlinux-4.19-thud-mp1/layers/meta-st/meta-st-stm32mp-addons/devicetree-addons

Current revision: cc76f890a1ed879993961d12d2b37b9f692f9b13

Bernard PUEL
ST Employee

For the panel sanity check, you can get information on this article:

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/index.php/DRM_KMS_overview#modetest_-28DRM-2FKMS_test_tool-29

Especially, you can try this test (after booting your board without hdmi plugged):

Board $> systemctl stop weston

Board $> modetest -M stm -s 31@33:480x800

setting mode 480x800-50Hz@XR24 on connectors 31, crtc 33

It should display on the full screen a display test partern.

<ctrl-C> to exit.

Bernard PUEL
ST Employee
matt.s
Associate II

Hi Bernard,

thank you for answering. I didn't have time to further experiment with modetest yet, but the commands you've given don't make the display show a test pattern.

Connecting a HDMI monitor works however, I can see the GTK Control demo there.