cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fast ADC and fast clock in the same chip?

jandle
Associate

The STM32L4xx have excellent 4.5~5MSa/s simultaneous sampling ADC but abysmal 80 MHz CPU clocks. The fast STM32F's have faster clocks but ADC are <2.5Msps. Is there no MCU with 5Msps ADC and 200MHz+ CPU clock?

2 REPLIES 2
Lead

> The STM32L4xx have ... abysmal 80 MHz CPU clocks.

The L stands for Low power - this design is optimized for mininal sleep currents, not maximal clock rates and performance.

> The fast STM32F's have faster clocks but ADC are <2.5Msps.

You can use the double/triple interleaved ADC mode, exceeding said 5 MSps.

jandle
Associate

sure, except I said "simultaneous" because it is an I/Q receiver function, so unless there are four AFEC/ADC that can be 2x2 simultaneously interleaved, it is still too slow. My alternative is exactly this on a 6 AFEC PIC32MZ. While I have a long background in 16 bit PIC, the PIC32s are unwieldy and overkill. With the Atmel acquisition I started looking at ATSAM processors, which don't come close to the ADC speeds of the STM.

I fully understand why the L are CPU speed limited - I have known frequency-power tradeoffs since before the 8008. I simply think there is a market for those fast AFECs (four of them would be stellar in a 2x2 simultaneous interleave to 10Msps I/Q!) on a 32F4 or F7 core. I was hoping that I was missing some corner of the STM offerings, but apparently not.

Ideal case for my project is simultaneous, synchronous, sustained 6.25Msps or better I/Q sampling of a 1MHz nominal signal (modulated) and ~200MHz CPU with fixed point dsp capabilities. I suppose if I wanted >>1M pieces a year I could tell them I needed it 🙂

Thanks,