cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max stack frame size on STM32F769?

Korporal
Senior

Does this processor have a max size limit on stack frames? (as opposed to max size of total stack). The stack frame size is the amount of stack space set aside when a function calls another function (this is mainly composed of local variables declared in the called function).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It does not. The scope really is how large any given memory region is, as the processor hard faults when you exceed that scope.

On things like KEIL the stack is on top of the heap which is on top of the statics, it is important to define the desired sizes in startup.s

With GNU/GCC the stack is frequently put at the top of RAM, and then the heap and stack are allowed to plough into each other to limit maximal usage.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

It does not. The scope really is how large any given memory region is, as the processor hard faults when you exceed that scope.

On things like KEIL the stack is on top of the heap which is on top of the statics, it is important to define the desired sizes in startup.s

With GNU/GCC the stack is frequently put at the top of RAM, and then the heap and stack are allowed to plough into each other to limit maximal usage.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Korporal
Senior

@Community member​ - OK thanks for that. I'm going to post another question, I'm seeing a behavioral change in a small test app that I'm playing with, this is most bizzare.