cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Queries on DFU, Defuse, DFU file Manager & boot loader

nirav soni
Associate II

1) Issue is we are unable to upgrade new .dfu file in to a target board (which has STM32F767 ) with different target ID & different target name than already programmed in to our target board. (Please check image with red bottom line)

We can be able to load different .dfu files (generated using DFU File Manager (v3.0.6))which has same target ID & target name (Please check image with green bottom line)0690X000006Dv6pQAC.png0690X000006Dv6fQAC.png

We did full chip erase using STM32 ST-LINK Utility but still not able to reload different target ID in to target board. In which memory region these information regarding DFU (target ID & name etc..) gets stored, How can we erase or reprogram them?

2) What are the benefits of using custom VID, PID & version in a .dfu file in our custom target board.

3) Is DFU file generation or programming method store anything in to OTP memory of STM uc.

4) What are the differences between secure firmware upgrade & DFU, Is secure firmware upgrade possible using USB Host.

Please comment.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

>>1) Do we need to always select target ID value to 0 (zero) while generating a dfu file from hex file (object file/uC build) using DFU File Manager, Please confirm?

That's where your firmware is situated? Right? 0x08000000

I've typically used my own tools to create DFU's from .HEX files as a post-linker step in Keil.

I think the license relates to the use/distribution of the ST tools. If you have concerns or questions, perhaps call your local sales/support office for more guidance.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

>>2) What are the benefits of using custom VID, PID & version in a .dfu file in our custom target board.

Presumably your DFU class implementation running on a VID/PID you own, vs the ROM based loader that is generic and everyone has.

>>3) Is DFU file generation or programming method store anything in to OTP memory of STM uc.

If your file describe such a region, and then only once.

>>4) What are the differences between secure firmware upgrade & DFU, Is secure firmware upgrade possible using USB Host.

The ST-LINK firmware uses an encrypted DFU model, as I recall. It is facilitated by their own loader, not the ROM

nirav soni
Associate II

Thanks for the reply.

1) Do we need to always select target ID value to 0 (zero) while generating a dfu file from hex file (object file/uC build) using DFU File Manager, Please confirm?

2) We are using our custom VID/PID in CDC class inside firmware for our device, As we are going to use DfuSe utility for firmware update through USB, We will use the same custom VID/PID to generate dfu file.

Does it require to take licence for the production version of firmware for our device as discussed in the link below

https://community.st.com/s/article/FAQ-License-key-for-DfuSe-USB-device-firmware-upgrade

Please comment.

>>1) Do we need to always select target ID value to 0 (zero) while generating a dfu file from hex file (object file/uC build) using DFU File Manager, Please confirm?

That's where your firmware is situated? Right? 0x08000000

I've typically used my own tools to create DFU's from .HEX files as a post-linker step in Keil.

I think the license relates to the use/distribution of the ST tools. If you have concerns or questions, perhaps call your local sales/support office for more guidance.

WMann.1
Associate II

A bit late but might be helpful for someone else. Yes, if you use your own VID and PID, you need to ask ST Micro for a license key. You modify the inf file with your vid, pid, the licence key, and text (your company/product name, etc). Without the licence key the driver will not work.

Then you usually want to get a code signing certificate and sign your custom driver so it's allowed by Microsoft.

I read that on some newer computers with Windows 10 that Microsoft will not allowed signed drivers signed other other besides them. I've been trying to get "reseller rights" from ST Micro so I can get our DFUSe driver signed by Microsoft. So far not luck. I havn't seen an issue in the field where our signed driver gets rejected.