cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32MP1 support ...

Lead

I guess most have noticed the recent anouncement of the STM32MP1, a dual core unit with a Cortex A7 and a M4.

Hard data seem a bit scarce yet, though.

What toolchain will support this combo, and when ?

Does the mentioned STLink V3 support concurrent debugging of both cores ?

What about an evaluation hardware ?

And a Linux version ?

And what about the interest in dual-cores on customer's side, or is it just a case of # metoo ? 😉

15 REPLIES 15
Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

There are datasheets, a reference manual and flyers for the disco and eval boards. That is a lot of hard data . Perhaps Embedded world starting tomorrow will show more things coming up.

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Cube just got an update.

The STLink V3 can deal with multi-core parts.

Can you run two debugger instances and single step both, I don't know. Handling two concurrent cores would be something the .DLL should be able to handle/manage.

I see that kind of thing as "Desperate Measures", when all other better methods have failed.

>>And what about the interest in dual-cores on customer's side, or is it just a case of # metoo ? 😉

I suspect it is a check box item for some, but the utility is hard to gauge, it will complicate development significantly. It's exceedingly difficult, most devs have enough trouble getting their pants on one leg at a time.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Lead

> The STLink V3 can deal with multi-core parts.

That would be expected.

But application development & debugging would be complex and troublesome, yes.

The A7 core will usually run a fullblown OS (Linux), the M4 a bare-metal application. I would expect a toolchain/IDE to handle the different project environments properly. Code download from the A7 to the M4 at runtime ?

Assessing the current state of CubeMX, I would not make plans for a commercial MP1 project for now ...

> I suspect it is a check box item for some, but the utility is hard to gauge, ...

And I would be interested in Freescale's sales numbers of the VF7xx ...

Not sure if this will change my view on Cube. I'm currently not touching it with a 10 ft pole ...

And Cube is not yet to toolchain.

But you might be right, I expect some related presentations and announcements on the Embedded World.

I will not attend this year, though.

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

>> And what about the interest in dual-cores on customer's side, or is it just a case of # metoo ? 😉

Just an example: @Community member​  and others expressed this need in 2017 wish-list 😉

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

2017 - that's a while ago. Actually, ages in this business.

Now surprise us with features and robustness.

And let's hope the Freescale VF7 did not fill the whole niche in the meantime ...

I think the main competitor to beat is NXP's i.MX 6 and 7 series.

Many examples show that timing and marketing power play an important role. Often more so then quality.

See VCR vs. Betamax for example.