cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on procedure for calculating crystal loading capacitors...

pgregson1
Associate III

Is the calculation procedure in AN2867 "Oscillator design guide for STM8AF/AL/S and STM32 microcontrollers" correct? On page 12, Cl is given by

CL = (CL1 x CL2)/(CL1 + CL2) + Co

where CL1 and CL2 are loading capacitors and Co is the crystal shunt capacitance. What about the PCB and pin capacitances? AN2867 says that a suitable figure for them is 10 pF and since the series combination of them is in parallel with Co, shouldn't the equation above be

CL = (CL1 x CL2)/(CL1 + CL2) + Co + 10pF/2

Similarly, the equation for gmcrit on page 13 should include pin and PCB capacitance, should it not?

And what about the calculation for ESR on page 14?

Also, in the equations at the bottom of page 15, why is Co ignored? And is Cs the capacitance of the PCB and pins?

Please advise.

Best regards,

Peter

2 REPLIES 2
Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Which product are you using?

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

pgregson1
Associate III

The STM32L476RGT6. But does it matter? Obviously the numbers depend on the specifics found on crystal and processor data sheets, but my question is with respect to the method. Since I use a number of different processors regularly, I need clarification on the method so as to select the correct crystals for all of them.

Best regards,

Peter