cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIS3DHTR Product Life cycle?

VGuer
Associate II

Hi,

In the company where I work we are developing hardware and we are already evaluating the LIS3DH in order to put it in our hardware devices. However we have noticed that the LIS3DH is obsolete but there is the LIS3DHTR which is the same product but different packaging. I would like to ask you guys if you know if there are plans to keep selling and producing the LIS3DHTR and if you have a little information about his life cycle. That would be helpful for us to keep considering this product in our devices.

Best Regards

Vicente 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LFONT
Associate III

​Hi Vicente,

unfortunately the decision to discontinue a product depends on many parameters, including future volume production numbers (meaning orders from customers); so something that does not depend on ST.

Considering that mainstream package dimension for stand-alone accelerometers has become 2x2 mm, while LIS3DHTR is still a 3x3, I estimate the termination of LIS3DHTR as "very possible" within about 2 years.

IIS2DHTR offers a 2x2 package size (so a footprint reduction on your PCB of 55%), a more "accurate" trimming procedure (it's "industrial grade") and the already discussed 10 year longevity.

Cheers

Luca 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
LFONT
Associate III

​LIS3DHTR is one of our oldest "consumer grade" devices. To keep our productivity at the level requested by the market, we may decide to discontinue this device in the next couple of years.

For long-lasting platforms, we created IIS2DHTR which has similar performances, is classified "industrial-grade" and has a guaranteed longevity of 10 years minimum.

I would suggest you to consider IIS2DHTR in your new designs, or, eventually, the new generation device, IIS2DLPC.

Cheers

Hi Luca,

Thanks for the answer. Do you have an estimated life time for the LIS3DHTR to be discontinued? And what specific advantages does the IIS2DHTR have that the LIS3DHTR does not?

I appreciate your help.

Regards

VIcente

LFONT
Associate III

​Hi Vicente,

unfortunately the decision to discontinue a product depends on many parameters, including future volume production numbers (meaning orders from customers); so something that does not depend on ST.

Considering that mainstream package dimension for stand-alone accelerometers has become 2x2 mm, while LIS3DHTR is still a 3x3, I estimate the termination of LIS3DHTR as "very possible" within about 2 years.

IIS2DHTR offers a 2x2 package size (so a footprint reduction on your PCB of 55%), a more "accurate" trimming procedure (it's "industrial grade") and the already discussed 10 year longevity.

Cheers

Luca 

Thanks again Luca.

If the IIS2DHTR is industrial grade, does that mean that is less affected by temperature changes than the LIS3DHTR on the acceleration measurements? Does it have a better temperature compensation? If not, which other accelerometer do you recommend us?

By the way,is the IIS2DHTR also compatible with the evaluation board MKI109v3 and Unico 7?

LFONT
Associate III

​Hi Vicente.

I do not expect IIS3DHTR to behave better in temperature than LIS3DHTR.

If you look for better temperature performances, I recommend testing IIS2DLPCTR.

Cheers

Luca

LFONT
Associate III

​IIS2DHTR, sorry. A typo.

Luca

Hi Luca,

I was checking the IIS2DLPCTR and I looks really suitable for our application. What would be the longevity for this sensor?

LFONT
Associate III

​10 years minimum.

Luca

Thanks again Luca.