cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's minimal possible jitter when using STM32 DAC with DMA?

MFuch
Associate

Hi,

I need to generate a special waveform via DAC on a STM32F446. DAC samples must be generated at about 240kHz but with minimal jitter. A DMA channel with timer trigger will provide the data from internal RAM or flash. What best case - minimal - jitter can I expect on my output signal (between two DAC samples)? I expect jitter to be caused by STM32 internal arbitration etc.

Matthias

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MikeDB
Lead

Whilst the DMA delivers the data to the DAC module, I believe the data is then buffered and latched onto the actual D-A though timer updates which shouldn't have any jitter. So only problem is if you are running the processor so hard that the internal busses are full, at which point the error is flagged.

On the device I use it says the DMAs are on different DMA streams so if you do hit any problems you could try the other DAC.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

To avoid DMA-related jitter, use timer-based trigger (i.e. transfer from holding to output register) in DAC. Read the DAC trigger selection subchapter in RM.

JW

MikeDB
Lead

Whilst the DMA delivers the data to the DAC module, I believe the data is then buffered and latched onto the actual D-A though timer updates which shouldn't have any jitter. So only problem is if you are running the processor so hard that the internal busses are full, at which point the error is flagged.

On the device I use it says the DMAs are on different DMA streams so if you do hit any problems you could try the other DAC.

MFuch
Associate

Thanks that seems to be the trick. I will try.

MikeDB
Lead

There's also two STM application notes on getting the best performance out of the DACs.

http://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/dm00129215.pdf

http://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/cd00259245.pdf

Hi @MikeDB​ ,

Could you please edit your last post to put correct references to the application notes?

Thanks,

Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Sorry - did it from my phone and it looked ok on that