cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'll be at Embedded World February 26.-28. in Nuremberg

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

My presence at EW2019 will limit my activity on the TouchGFX forum, but i'll be active once in a while from the hotel when possible.

Anyone going? I'll be somewhere around the STM32 area and will be giving three presentations per day

1. Basic TouchGFX Development/workflow
  2. What's new in TouchGFX 4.11.0 ?
  3. CubeMX/Interface between Hardware and UI

Hope to see you there!

Best regards,

Martin

11 REPLIES 11
avent
Associate

it' great to hear about these news,

please post presentations and eventually videos at due time, if possible!

as i would like to attend but i cant, let me ask you here two questions about TouchGFX:S

1. are you going to provide a Linux port of the Designer?
  2. i see the TouchGFX Designer (and framework) is currently available both "standalone" or "integrated" into CubeMX. my experience is that the "standalone" setup is way more "polished" then the integration (that it's more complex, i get it..). do you plan to keep this choice also in future release of the "standalone" is going to disappear?

anyway let me finis saying i think this library is really a great value added to the STM32 proposition.. and i find using it very rewarding, and refreshing, especially because i work out my business logic with gcc/vim/git and the retouching of the UI with the Designer doesn't get in the way at all, and this is great!!

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Hi @Community member​,

I'll post the resources i use at EW, for sure, once it's over.

Your questions:

1. I wouldn't rule it out, but it's not a major priority. It requires a complete rewrite.
  2. We're working on having better integration between CubeMX and TouchGFX. But, you're right, when coming from TouchGFX the application templates are all tested working. Some of them have been created using CubeMX and have been configured to work, which is not the case currently when generating TouchGFX projects through CubeMX. The Standalone version will never disappear.

I'm very happy to hear you're enjoying it! We like it too 🙂

Best regards,

Martin

> "I wouldn't rule it out, but it's not a major priority. It requires a complete rewrite."

you should eventually try to make Designer native MS exe work under "wine"; i find that it's becoming really more and more complete as "emulation"!

> "We're working on having better integration between CubeMX and TouchGFX."

i point i would like to raise, is that often adding the "middleware TouchGFX" on a CubeMX project, disable the "MAKEFILE generation" support and i'm left only with those proprietary stubs.

i would think that the Makefile/gcc should be the "level 0" of the support for any "BSP", why is that?

Pascal1
Associate III

+1 for the slides...

About the linux version of Designer, more and more developers are working exclusively under Linux, and other ST tools are multi-platforms. Having a windows environnement just for TouchGFX Designer is a big constraint. Working with wine is not so straightforward and is often quite unstable (even it's better since some years)

I'd just like to add my two cents to the integration subject. Standalone is ok, for those who don't care about CubeMX. But generating an ioc is for me a mandatory feature for ALL series (some are currently missing) as we then can use MX to properly adapt the final IDE (so we can use eclipse-based and not just IAR) without too much manual changes.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist

@Martin KJELDSEN​ You say, "the TouchGFX forum" - but this guy says there is (no longer) any "TouchGFX forum"

Perhaps you could help him out ... ?

http://www.keil.com/forum/64240/

Johnnie Blom
Associate

When will  TouchGFX 4.11.0 be available for download?

I agree.

A Linux compliant version of the designer is important and i'm pretty sure it'll be a focus point. I know that Wine isn't the best option here.

Also, CubeMX integration is equally vital and the presence of TouchGFX in CubeMX is being improved as fast as we can supply feedback and the CubeMX team can provide fixes to current issues - Promise 🙂 With 5.1 we'll be able to provide .ioc files for more application templates than before.

Thanks for the feedback!

Best regards,

Martin

Thanks @Andrew Neil​, i'll set him straight!

Depends on CubeMX/Cube Firmware release dates. We must align now. Will keep you updated!