cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does IHM08M1 can drive a BLDC motor(250W) with heavy load?

AChen.17
Associate

Dear All,

I use a IHM08M1 with FOC control to drive a 250W motor. Motor can ramp up with light load and spin well. When the load was increasing to 90KG, motor failed to start up. After adjusting startup parameters and control mode(torque / speed), it still fail to start up.

What else parameters can I try?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

​Hi,

did you try to increase the current during the startup right ? The motor doesn't move or start and fails after few time during the acceleration ?

Regards,

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

I have a similar question regarding the IHM08M1. I am using a 250W Hub motor mostly in stall mode. For my needs the 30A peak current set by hardware over current protection is a tad to weak. I would need OCP kicking in at about 50A-60A to get some headroom.

As I am using a NUCLEO-F303RE control board I would be able to use a DAC (or internal voltage refs) to set the reference voltage for the OCP to raise peak current to 50A or even 99A. Motor Control Workbench allows these selections but I would like to double check if the driver board can handle this. I found no references in the manual on other peak current values except for the 30A set by the hardware OCP.

My question is:

Is the IHM08M1 capable of dealing with 50A-60A for a short period of time? (The power supply can handle up to 66A at 12V). According to Motor Control Workbench this should be manageable by the driver board.

Kind Regards,

Jay

Hi Jay,

the IHM08M1 has limited current capability due to the track size, consider that with 70Apk we can reach the maximum temperature of the FR4 material so please take care about it and use it for very short time.

Best regards,

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

thank you for the quick reply.

50A-60A would come as spikes once in a while. The general load will need around 15A-20A. So that gives me the headroom I need without frying the board.

Thanks again and Kind Regards,

Jay