cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, I want to know how can I use STM32F765 - MCU for video Compression?

Chayan Roy
Associate III

Basically My idea is to make an IP camera .My intention is to use STM32F765 mcu to capture live video and compress it to JPEG or MPEG format to transfer the video over the internet.

Is it possible ??

3 REPLIES 3
gvigelet
Associate II

Hi Chayan,

Yes it is possible to hook a camera sensor to the DCMI port and pipe that data through the Hardware JPEG codec to compress it and send the compressed data over Ethernet to be received by an application. There will be a lot of limiting factors, a 640x480 image at 15 frames per second should be achievable, but anything more than that may not be feasible just based on the specs of the STM32F7. You can always hook up a sensor that has JPEG compression built into it, like the OV5640, this will then become a task of receiving the sensor data and streaming it over Ethernet and the only limitations will fall on the speed of the STM32F7 Ethernet capabilities and sensor capabilities. I believe that the OV5640 is capable of up to 1080p at 30fps and the Ethernet on the STM32F7 should be around 50Mbps, so a 720P image at 30fps should be achievable. A 720P image at 30FPS should only require a bandwidth of about 30Mbps which will leave you some head room.

Thanks givgelet I will try this option.

gvigelet
Associate II

If you download the latest cube software and libraries for the STM32F7 you will want to look at teh STM32F769I_EVAL examples. There Is a DCMI example for capturing an image from a sensor, JPEG folder contains an encoding example and under applications LwIP there are some HTTP examples.