cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is g calibration value?

mbertoni
Associate II

Hi to all, which is factory calibration value for g for MEMS accelerometers?

Is this value the same for all accelerometers (I suppose)?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi mbertoni, do you mean the LSB to g conversion? It depends on the device (if the output is on 8 bit, 12 bit or 16 bit) and on the FS (the higher the FS, the higer the LSB/g factor). Which device are you using?

mbertoni
Associate II

No, I mean for a generic digital MEMS accelerometer I have (x example) 4096 counts = 1g, but 1g stands for what?

g value changes depending coordinates and altitude, so let's say LIS344AH has been calibrated at ST calibration facility where 1g is 9.7982 m/s^2 while I'm using accelerometer where g is 9.8027 m/s^2.

In this case when I go to read acceleration value in um/s^2 I get wrong values, so I need to know calibration value of g.

Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Consider that for the analog axl LIS344ALH​ is valid this datasheet sentence:

>> Zero-g level and sensitivity are essentially ratiometric to supply voltage at the calibration level ±8%

This means that 9.8027 m/s^2 - 9.7982 m/s^2 = 0.005 m/s^2 = 0.05% << 0.78m/s^2 = 8%. So you won't be able to detect the difference you wrote. For the sake of completeness, consider also that the lowest gravitational acceleration on Earth (Mount Nevado Huascarán, high and near equator) is at 9.7639 m/s^2, while the highest is at the surface of the Arctic Ocean (low and near pole), at 9.8337 m/s^2, computing a difference of 0.5%, negligible with respect to the sensitivity error.

I suggest you in general to use an average (and typical) 9,81m/s^2 for the g value.

Link: https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/CD00182781.pdf

mbertoni
Associate II

Thanks, but I have to compare processed acceleration data to GPS displacement values and ground velocity values (taken from seismometer) and competitor's devices.

Any further precision (as if < 0.5%) is appreciated.