cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with identifying a component

MMovs
Associate II

Hello,

I'm a software expert, and ignorant in any hardware fields.

I have some faulty air condition controller board, and need help with identifying some faulty component installed on it.

Could you please tell me what is this EEPROM component (see picture), and what component could be used to replace it, preferably of FRAM type?

Thanks,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pierre P.
Senior III

​Hello,

This is a very old (>20years) serial I2C eeprom in 4Kbits density.

Direct replacement is possible with ST eeprom device: See here : https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/memories/serial-eeprom/standard-serial-eeprom/standard-i2c-eeprom/m24c04-f.html

For you information our eeproms are guarantied 4millions cycles @25°C if you search a very high level of endurance.

BR

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Thank you!

You need to check for yourself.

At the image, there is not much visible around this chip to see if this makes sense.

Maybe you misunderstood, but I did not mean to disrespect your reply. The fact that it is some M24C04 was helpful enough...

Some larger image

And larger

And the entire board

Pierre P.
Senior III

​Hello,

This is a very old (>20years) serial I2C eeprom in 4Kbits density.

Direct replacement is possible with ST eeprom device: See here : https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/memories/serial-eeprom/standard-serial-eeprom/standard-i2c-eeprom/m24c04-f.html

For you information our eeproms are guarantied 4millions cycles @25°C if you search a very high level of endurance.

BR

I think I didn't misunderstand you.

What I meant - for those SMD parts, only a part of whole name/designation is printed on the device. Thus, the partial name is ambiguous.

A serial EEPROM is a digital device, which needs another digital device (circuit) to work as bus master, in order to utilize it. The board should have (some) digital functionality, perhaps an easier to identify controller. I meant to check this.

This is the way I use to narrow it down. I'm no hardware designer, and rarely deal with SMD parts.