cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference X-CUBE-SPN7 and X-CUBE-MCSDK?

sandor
Associate II

With my team, we are trying to get our brushless 3 phase motor going using ST environment. The motor has 3 hall sensors.

We got the starter pack: P-NUCLEO-IHM002 (https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/evaluation-tools/product-evaluation-tools/stm32-nucleo-expansion-boards/p-nucleo-ihm002.html)

To get things going we tried the X-CUBE-SPN7 and X-CUBE-MCSDK as both are recommended on the website. I finally managed to get the example codes compiling and running on the target board.

However I can't see which road to take from here. Do I start with X-CUBE-MCSDK or X-CUBE-SPN7? Why are there two different solutions? How are they differ and what is common? Are they compatible with each other? Which one is supported in the future?

The X-CUBE-MCSDK looks more advanced as it has the workbench environment for the the development, but do I get all features that comes in the X-CUBE-SPN7?

More specifically, we want to use our brushles DC 3 phase motor with hall sensors. Our use of the motor is a bit specific and we need to maintain the selected speed under wide range of load on the motor. We need to control the torque and keep the speed constant. Like in a lift application.

Any suggestions? All help appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Claire O.
ST Employee

Hello sandor,

X-CUBE-SPN7 is a mature code example implementing 6 step algorithm to pilot brushless motor.

X_CUBE-MCSDK is a complete Motor Control Software Development Kit, generating Field Oriented Control code for various stm32 (also for Brushless 3 phase motors).

X-CUBE-MCSDK containts tools like motor profiler or MC workbench to configure your code. Today it implements only FOC but it should implement also 6 step in future. Sensored FOC with Hall sensor code is included. Also it is regularly maintained. There is for example a new release on st.com today (version 5.3.3).

I hope it will help you to take your decision,

Best regards,

Claire

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Claire O.
ST Employee

Hello sandor,

X-CUBE-SPN7 is a mature code example implementing 6 step algorithm to pilot brushless motor.

X_CUBE-MCSDK is a complete Motor Control Software Development Kit, generating Field Oriented Control code for various stm32 (also for Brushless 3 phase motors).

X-CUBE-MCSDK containts tools like motor profiler or MC workbench to configure your code. Today it implements only FOC but it should implement also 6 step in future. Sensored FOC with Hall sensor code is included. Also it is regularly maintained. There is for example a new release on st.com today (version 5.3.3).

I hope it will help you to take your decision,

Best regards,

Claire

Laurent Ca...
Lead II

The question has been moved from the section "Motor Control Hardware" to the "STM32 Motor Control" section (the question is about the STM32 MC SDK). 

Best regards