cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeProgrammer Java Compatibility

MBrow.14
Associate

Hi, still have problems with Java (Oracle) versions & getting the S/W to launch (v1.3). If I have 32 bit Java 8 update 201 installed the programs runs fine, so I presume it is a 32 bit app. However, if I install 64 bit Java 8 update 201 (needed for my Eclipse OpenSTM32 as I have the 64 bit version), then the program no longer runs, although the 32 bit Java is still installed . Seen this many times. There seems to be a versioning problem or maybe a setting that I need to adjust?

3 REPLIES 3
Houda GHABRI
ST Employee

​Hi @MBrow.14​ ,

Thanks for your feedback.

Indeed if STM32CubeProgrammer is installed with 32 bit JRE it is not possible to run it with 64 bits JRE.

You should RE-install programmer with 64 bit JRE.

It will be clearly documented in next CubeProgrammer release.

Regards,

Houda

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Thanks. After removing jre-i586 and installing jre-x64 I reinstalled from en.stm32cubeprog.zip. Now the StlinkV3 is seen on my linux system.

MBrow.14
Associate

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply, I understand what you are saying, however I still think that there is a compatibility issue with the STM32CubeProgrammer launcher. I understand that a 32 bit application requires the 32 bit version of the Java JRE to run & a 64 bit application requires the 64 bit version of the JRE to run. This is certainly true if you download either the 32 or 64 bit version of Eclipse, you have to have the corresponding version of the JRE for it to run Eclipse. On my PC, I have both 32 & 64 bit versions of the latest JRE installed, so in theory both 32 bit & 64 bit applications should run. This is true of Eclipse, in which ever order I download the JRE or install Eclipse, the correct version of the JRE is found by Eclipse, so long as the correct version of the JRE is installed at the point of time of launching. The STM32CubeProgrammer launcher however seems to only detect the version of the JRE last installed on the PC, even if both 32 & 64 bit versions are present. This means that if the last version of the JRE installed doesn't correspond to the same bit version as the programmer, then it won't launch. I don't think this is how it is supposed to be, I think it is probably a fault in the launcher.