cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L432KBU6: Is system bootloader viable for production programming?

Antypas.Peter
Senior

I'm designing the interface board for post-SMT in circuit programming / functional testing of a product with this MCU. I'm trying to decide whether to embed an SWD programmer for flashing or not.

I've looked through all the system bootloader related docs and it's still unclear to me whether low-pin count packages that don't have a BOOT1 pin can still enter DFU via external signal control.

Does anyone know?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'm using this 32 pin device due to size, the default state allows form me to program via the UART using the BOOT0 pin to boot into the loader. I've done all development this way too.​

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I'm using this 32 pin device due to size, the default state allows form me to program via the UART using the BOOT0 pin to boot into the loader. I've done all development this way too.​

0690X000006DA4eQAG.jpg

Antypas.Peter
Senior

Thanks Clive. I put it on a breakout and breadboarded it and it looks like it will work with just BOOT0. Also, the system bootloader uses push-pull or internal pull-ups, so external pull-ups are not needed.

I don't think we used a pull-up, the down-stream attachment of the USART1 is to RS232 level converter which just reflects states of those pins. The loader initially configures the RX pin as an input to a TIM, and uses that to measure the timing via 0x7F data pattern before switching to USART mode. I haven't reviewed the loader's configuration of the pins, although I'd expect it to pull-up or down the pins it is monitoring internally so as to avoid it mistriggering. I'll take a look at the ROM next week to double check.

The processor is perhaps overkill in the application, but the die geometry of the newer STM32 is better, allowing for smaller packaging I can manage in manufacturing, plus the CM4 allows for a full JTAG and SWV debug channel, and 32-bit TIMs. My production guys don't like the wafer scale pitches, and the pin escape blows up the PCB layer/complexity/cost.

Had to move to a L433 for another design because the pin usages was getting too restrictive and poor muxing options from ST meant I couldn't get 3 USARTs out of the smaller one. ST could probably get better up-take on low pin count devices if someone spent a bit more time thinking about what peripherals need escaping properly/completely.