cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST DFU Bootloader Issue with some USB ports

CDril
Associate

Hi community, 

I implemented a C# application to monitor, configure and upgrade a ST device (STM32F072). On my development notebook it works fine, but only if I connect the device via USB with the docking station or to my laptop without docking station. In case I connect the device to the laptop when it is supplied by docking station it doesn't work. On laptop of my colleague it doesn't work anytime. On his laptop also the ST DFU Tester software tool which is part of DFUse V3.0.6 is not working correct. It seems that not all pages are erased.

In my application I implemented a stopwatch and see that some earse/write commands are much too fast (1-2ms), in this case was not successful. In case it takes ~25ms it is successful.

Another test was to minimize my application only to detach and also here it works if the ST device is connecetd to dockingstation, but not if the device is connected direct to my notebook.

Did anyone see similar behaviour and has some inputs to solve the issue. It's really crazy and at the moment it's not clear to say where the route cause is?

Thank you. Carsten

4 REPLIES 4

DELL Docking Stations seem to be a recurrent topic, as does connectivity through hubs, especially unpowered ones.

You might also want to migrate to the STM32 Cube Programmer tools, older tools have been deprecated. The new tools supports ST-LINK, UART/COM and DFU/USB connectivity modes.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
CDril
Associate

​Sorry I forgot to say I use HP Elitebook and Zbook under WIN 10.

The idea is to use only the USB interface on our product, without any external programmer, ST-LInk programming via SW interface is working fine.

In my c# application I use the CaptiveAire.Stm32Bootloader library (source code) which use STDFU.dll.

What kind of topics do you mean regarding DELL docking stations, maybe is something similar.

>>What kind of topics do you mean regarding DELL docking stations, maybe is something similar.

That someone played a bit loosely with the USB specs to make the dock/undock more transparent to the user. That things don't enumerate properly when plugged into the dock.

Seen this also on hubs, where plugging a device into the hub doesn't precipitate and enumeration from the PC that the hub is plugged into.

Cables and ports also fail, try some different ones.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Bob Paddock
Associate III

Try to establish what chip set the port is using in the PC. In the past I've run into USB issues, on a different micro, where things worked fine if the hub chipset was Intel and did not work correctly if the hub chipset was NEC on the same PC.

The driver settings will sometimes show this information, or a program that enumerates the PCs hardware.