cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have any advice which voltage regulator should I use?

sahma.18
Associate II

Hi to All,

I want to make a pcb card which which work with 3.6V. I wil use a voltage regulator to drop down voltage from 10V-17V batteries to 3.3V. Do you have any advice which voltage regulator should I use. I am trying to make a system with lowest power consumption. Do you have any suggestion. Also there is another question. Why there is used two voltage regulator in Nucleo-031k6 to drop down input voltage to 3.3V. 

I mean they first used a voltage regulator to drop input voltage to 5V and after that they dropped 5V to 3.3V.

Thank you,

6 REPLIES 6
S.Ma
Principal

#1: The question would be how much peak and average current the system will consume. Then you'll be able to decide to use either LDO linear voltage regulator, or DC-DC step down converters. The max current will tell the linear regulator max heat and operating temperature.

#2: probably it is to use 5V as reference voltage which is typically USB power source.

sahma.18
Associate II

peak and average current does not pass 700mA.

S.Ma
Principal

DC-DC converter advised.

Low power / consumption means at least <100mA (USB default device budget allowance)

sahma.18
Associate II

Does not operating temperature mean environment temperature?

S.Ma
Principal

Injecting 17V and drawing 0.7A out of it at 3.6V, gets P=UxI =(17-3.6)x0.7= 9 Watts dissipated as heat in the linear regulator. Low power? Heatsink?

sahma.18
Associate II

Do know how much is peak current of stm32l031k6. I checked it is written 2.5mA, but I am not sure.