cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to make an L031 wake up in 65 µs - how?

jcw
Associate II

I've been trying to get an STM32L031 to periodically wakeup with minimal power consumption. The specs say it can standby at under 0.5 µA, which I can confirm, but also that it can wake up within 65 µs, which I cannot reproduce. I'm seeing a 1.6 ms delay with 300..400 µA current consumption. This seems to indicate that the µC is waiting for Vrefint to stabilise, even though I have the FWU bit set. Below is a minimal example which still does not wake up in 65 µs:

#include <jee.h>

int main() {
    MMIO32(Periph::iwdg+0x00) = 0x5555; // unlock PR
    MMIO32(Periph::iwdg+0x04) = 1;      // max timeout is 800ms
    MMIO32(Periph::iwdg+0x00) = 0xCCCC; // start watchdog

constexpr uint32_t scr = 0xE000ED10;
    MMIO32(scr) |= (1<<2); // set SLEEPDEEP

MMIO32(Periph::rcc+0x38) |= (1<<28); // PWREN
    MMIO32(Periph::pwr) |= (1<<10) | (1<<9) | (1<<1); // FWU, ULP, PDDS

__asm("wfi");
}

I changed the option byte to disable BOR, but it did not make a difference. My write-up about this issue can be found here: https://jeelabs.org/2018/low-power-l031/

What am I missing?

23 REPLIES 23
S.Ma
Principal

Not a speclalist in low power mode, however, if the clock is stopped, How is the clock generated? If it comes from PLL it probably needs time to stabilize before the SW can actually continue running? There should be some low power modes application note somewhere.

jcw
Associate II

The L031 starts up with the MSI @ 2.1 MHz, which takes only a few cycles, I think.

What tools?

Sure you don't have code in SystemInit() running prior to main(). Review code executing in startup.s

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Aha, thanks! Will investigate. Using PlatformIO w/ gcc, stm32cube as runtime.

RomainR.
ST Employee

Hi jcw

Could you explain your method for wake up measurement ?

Are you sure FWU is enabed ?

usually, when mcu is in low power mode, we trigger (with oscilloscope) the duration between rising edge on Wakeup-Pin and a GPIO toggle written into CMSIS System_init() function or into Reset_Handler (in assembly)

Important Note: You must check the Reset Flag status if the reset cause is from a hard reset or from Standby return. And clear it properly. Do that early in your code.

BR

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Method: I measure current, and trigger on its leading flank.

FWU: yes, see code snippet above.

There's no external wakeup, I'm using the independent watchdog.

Ehm, why should I check and reset the reset-cause flags? I'm not interested in this status information - at least not in the simple example I gave.

jcw
Associate II

New results, and frankly, I'm not sure how to interpret them - I now get more like 180 µs delay, much closer to the expected 65 µs, and a good deal better than the 1.6 ms reported earlier.

Here is the new code, with an LED attached to PA1, so I can see when the main code starts:

int main() {
    PinA<1> led;
    led.mode(Pinmode::out);

MMIO32(Periph::iwdg+0x00) = 0x5555; // unlock PR
    MMIO32(Periph::iwdg+0x04) = 1;      // max timeout is 800ms
    MMIO32(Periph::iwdg+0x00) = 0xCCCC; // start watchdog

constexpr uint32_t scr = 0xE000ED10;
    MMIO32(scr) |= (1<<2); // set SLEEPDEEP

MMIO32(Periph::rcc+0x38) |= (1<<28); // PWREN

MMIO32(Periph::pwr) |= (1<<10) | (1<<9) | (1<<1); // FWU, ULP, PDDS

__asm("wfi");
}