cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exception handling on ST7 micro

GAldr
Associate

Greetings!

I'm currently working on a project where I've taken over code for a produce that uses the ST72F321BR9 micro. This is the first time I've worked with this chip. In the past, I worked strictly with ARM core processors.

I'm trying to figure out if this chip has any mechanism for generating an exception when and illegal operation occurs (such as dereferencing a null pointer). My past projects using ARM processors would immediately reset upon attempting such an illegal operation.

Does this micro have a similar capability? If so how do I enable it? For what it's worth, my project is written in C and I'm using the Cosmic C compiler V4.5c.

Regards,

Geoffrey

3 REPLIES 3

I'd expect the guys at Cosmic to be able to provide consultancy, or put you in touch with someone.

If you're lucky it will just halt and you can watchdog reset it.

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/programming_manual/f5/1c/5f/0c/c6/8f/44/73/CD00004607.pdf/files/CD00004607.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00004607.pdf

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
S.Ma
Principal

ST7 is like an HC05 8 bit micro, there is no exception mecanism: it is expected that all possible cause of "exception" is tested by SW before it occurs. The watchdog if enabled will trigger a reset and when restarting the code, there maybe register to tell you its cause.

GAldr
Associate

Thanks for the information!