cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to design a 15V 2.5A output USB c type PD controller using STUSB4500,

MP M
Associate II
  1. How to setup STUSB4500 to deliver 15V 2.5A without programming ?
  2. If programming needed, how it can done?
  3. Where should I get the evaluation board for the same?
  4. Can I power STUSB4500 using the charging port without connecting to battery(Powered from Source- IC should power on by taking power from source power- 5V)

Pls help me to design this

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Benoit FORET
ST Employee

​Hello,

STEVAL-ISC005V1 is capable of negotiating  5V, 15V and 20V by default.

In case a SOURCE is compatible with all profiles, the highest the voltage, the highest the priority.

If you want to supply your application with 15V only, then you need to run the GUI (see STSW-STUSB002 QUICK Start) and then:

1)  set SNK_PDO_NUMB=2 (in order to remove the 20V profile, knowing that 5V is mandatory as per USB PD standard).

2) in order to get rid from 5V, just tick the POWER_ONLY_ABOVE_5V option. In this case,  VSINK will be powered only by 15V, if available from the SOURCE.

rgds,

Benoit

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Benoit FORET
ST Employee

​Hello,

1. if you want to avoid software, customization of STUSB4500 can be done once thanks to internal Non volatile Memory (NVM) using a Graphical user interface.

2. you can use STSW-STUSB002 to do it. See following document:

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/sales_and_marketing/presentation/product_presentation/group0/42/c0/87/17/3d/06/4b/6d/STSW-STUSB002_quick_start_guide/files/STSW-STUSB002_quick_start_guide.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.STSW-STUSB002_quick_start_guide.pdf

3. evaluation board (STEVAL-ISC005V1) can be purchased from st.com or from distributors such as ARROW or DIGIKEY. You will need a NUCLEO-F072RB to interconnect the board to your laptop.

4. yes indeed. STUSB4500 supports dead battery mode. No need battery connection. It can be supplied directly from VBUS thanks to internal regulator, no matter VBUS voltage [4V to 22V]. When Type-C port is not attached, it will not sink any power from your battery. See STREF-SCS001V1 minimal implementation schematic (ref design):

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/layouts_and_diagrams/schematic_pack/group0/e0/02/2c/71/b2/32/49/db/STREF-SCS001V1_SCHEMATIC/files/stref-scs001v1_schematic.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.stref-scs001v1_schematic.pdf

Let me know if any issue to purchase the boards.

Rgds,

Benoit

Thanks for your reply..

I bought STEVAL-ISC005V1 evaluation board from digikey, used DA45C-J3WEU  usb c type from artesyn embedded technologies.(Capable for providing 15V/3A)

When i connected adapter, i got 19V from VSINK and PDO3, but i didn't get 15V from PDO2, led is not glowing at PDO2,. Power_PDO2 pin of STUSB4500 is 19V something. Actually i want 15V .

Can you please help me.

Benoit FORET
ST Employee

​Hello,

STEVAL-ISC005V1 is capable of negotiating  5V, 15V and 20V by default.

In case a SOURCE is compatible with all profiles, the highest the voltage, the highest the priority.

If you want to supply your application with 15V only, then you need to run the GUI (see STSW-STUSB002 QUICK Start) and then:

1)  set SNK_PDO_NUMB=2 (in order to remove the 20V profile, knowing that 5V is mandatory as per USB PD standard).

2) in order to get rid from 5V, just tick the POWER_ONLY_ABOVE_5V option. In this case,  VSINK will be powered only by 15V, if available from the SOURCE.

rgds,

Benoit