Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering purchasing the J-Link PRO SEGGER, any advice please

JHERI
Senior

hello

Considering purchasing the J-Link PRO SEGGER to aid my development

I like the idea that it runs from Ethernet and has all the advantages of using Ethernet

Also like these feature of deeper and more advanced debugging and trace etc.

Can any one please add anymore to this as to why NOT to purchase and WHY it's a good move to purchase.

It's not cheap at around £1000.00, but like most things in life there is a good reason it's a £1000

would just like some feedback please before spending out on it

regards

2 REPLIES 2

We'll you've got the UK rip-off tax, $998 USD retail, the exchange rate also a problem.

If you do a lot of work, and regularly have to trace how-did-I-get-here type failures it might be worth it. I've got some $1500 type trace pods, but the use cases are pretty finite, and the Cortex-Mx devices need constructive trace, it's not old-school ICE stuff where it logs the whole bus transactions/width, so you need the source, and a contemporary build, for the debugger to cooperate.

Unless the Ethernet is critical, look at the ST-LINK/V3 ($35) it is much faster than the V2, and uses an F723 rather than a F103 to implement.

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/technical_note/group0/30/c8/1d/0f/15/62/46/ef/DM00290229/files/DM00290229.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00290229.pdf

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
adrian
Associate III

Be aware the jlink pro offers no extra tracing ability over a standard jlink (ETB).

if you want more advanced tracing then you need a jtrace device and the trace pins broken out from your target.

only real difference afaik between the standard and pro is a faster interface (and obviously Ethernet), whether in the real world you would notice the speed difference is down to your own perception, the standard jlink is no slouch.