cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compile with Makefile on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

smrtkai
Senior

Hi,

I am trying to compile a generated Makefile project on an Ubuntu machine (18.04 LTS). The compilation works fine on Windows 10.

But on Ubuntu, I get the following error:

kai@ubuntu:~/workspace/makefile_test$ make
arm-none-eabi-gcc build/main.o build/stm32f4xx_it.o build/stm32f4xx_hal_msp.o build/stm32f4xx_hal_tim.o build/stm32f4xx_hal_tim_ex.o build/stm32f4xx_hal_rcc.o build/stm32f4xx_hal_rcc_         ex.o build/stm32f4xx_hal_flash.o build/stm32f4xx_hal_flash_ex.o build/stm32f4xx_hal_flash_ramfunc.o build/stm32f4xx_hal_gpio.o build/stm32f4xx_hal_dma_ex.o build/stm32f4xx_hal_dma.o b         uild/stm32f4xx_hal_pwr.o build/stm32f4xx_hal_pwr_ex.o build/stm32f4xx_hal_cortex.o build/stm32f4xx_hal.o build/system_stm32f4xx.o build/startup_stm32f429xx.o -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mthumb -         mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -specs=nano.specs -TSTM32F429ZITx_FLASH.ld  -lc -lm -lnosys  -Wl,-Map=build/makefile_test.map,--cref -Wl,--gc-sections -o build/makefile_test.elf
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: error: /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/crt0.o: Conflicting CPU architectures 13/1
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/crt0.o
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: error: build/makefile_test.elf uses VFP register arguments, /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib         /libc_nano.a(lib_a-atexit.o) does not
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/libc_nano.a(li         b_a-atexit.o)
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: error: build/makefile_test.elf uses VFP register arguments, /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib         /libc_nano.a(lib_a-exit.o) does not
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/libc_nano.a(li         b_a-exit.o)
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: error: build/makefile_test.elf uses VFP register arguments, /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib         /libc_nano.a(lib_a-fini.o) does not
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/libc_nano.a(li         b_a-fini.o)
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: error: build/makefile_test.elf uses VFP register arguments, /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib         /libc_nano.a(lib_a-impure.o) does not
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/libc_nano.a(li         b_a-impure.o)
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: error: build/makefile_test.elf uses VFP register arguments, /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib         /libc_nano.a(lib_a-init.o) does not
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/libc_nano.a(li         b_a-init.o)
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: error: build/makefile_test.elf uses VFP register arguments, /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib         /libc_nano.a(lib_a-memset.o) does not
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/libc_nano.a(li         b_a-memset.o)
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: error: build/makefile_test.elf uses VFP register arguments, /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib         /libc_nano.a(lib_a-__atexit.o) does not
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/libc_nano.a(li         b_a-__atexit.o)
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: error: build/makefile_test.elf uses VFP register arguments, /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib         /libc_nano.a(lib_a-__call_atexit.o) does not
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/libc_nano.a(li         b_a-__call_atexit.o)
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: error: build/makefile_test.elf uses VFP register arguments, /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib         /libnosys.a(_exit.o) does not
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: failed to merge target specific data of file /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/libnosys.a(_ex         it.o)
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:166: recipe for target 'build/makefile_test.elf' failed
make: *** [build/makefile_test.elf] Error 1

I have installed the compiler like this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-gcc-arm-embedded/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-none-eabi

What might cause this problem?

4 REPLIES 4
dhaselwood
Associate II

Most of the errors are a mismatch of libraries compiled to use software floating pt emulation with the compile code set to use hardware floating pt. Furthermore, the first error is saying there is mismatch in architectures, i.e. crt0 is the wrong one. If it worked on Win10 but not Ubuntu, my guess is that it is something having to do with PATH.

If you are using Ubuntu 18.04 's default newlib library then it has a known issue:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gcc-arm-none-eabi/+bug/1767223

There is a work-around:

https://github.com/bbcmicrobit/micropython/issues/514

smrtkai
Senior

Thank you! The following commands fix the error. With this everything compiles 🙂

wget http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/n/newlib/libnewlib-dev_3.0.0.20180802-2_all.deb
wget http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/n/newlib/libnewlib-arm-none-eabi_3.0.0.20180802-2_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i libnewlib-dev_2.4.0.20160527-4_all.deb libnewlib-arm-none-eabi_2.4.0.20160527-4_all.deb

I always get the toolchain from his parents https://developer.arm.com/open-source/gnu-toolchain/gnu-rm/downloads# . I unpack it in $HOME folder, make a symlink folder (with a smaller name) to it and make the changes in the Makefile.

Always the official distribution. Always the latest two or three versions - I can point the symlink to any of those. without the need to make the new changes in the Makefile.

Also Ubuntu 18.04 here...