cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any STM32 in flip-chip packaging ?

mCOZZ
Associate II

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if there was any STM32 MCU in a flip chip packaging configuration ? I have seen some BGA packages but I came to understand that it didn't mean that the chip was flipped inside...

Any info on the matter would be appreciated thanks !

Regards,

Maxime

4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Hello,

the picture for

https://de.farnell.com/stmicroelectronics/stm32f091rch6/mcu-32bit-cortex-m0-48mhz-ufbga/dp/2503242?st=stm32

looks much like flipchip, and I remember I once had some flipchip device for demonstration purpose. Probably the H packages (UFBGA) are flipchip, but maybe not all. Maybe pepdending on sise Probably your FAE will know.

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Compare the package drawings fore the STM32F09 UFBGA64 and UFBGA100 package. The 64 package is thinner, probably the bare chip + direct pin redistrubution + balls, while the 100 package has a thin PCB for pin redistribution.

mCOZZ
Associate II

Thank you all for you quick answer! I will check the proposed references and post the answer as soon as I find something (may take a while though).

mCOZZ
Associate II

While going through packaging specification I came across the WLCSP64 with this note.:

"Caution: WLCSP must be handled with care as active silicon substrate is not protected against

aggressive mechanical actions. Vacuum plastic pick-up tools are recommended for device

handling."

This seems to indicate that the silicon is facing up as needed.

Hope this can help some else too!