cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help to run Ethernet communication correctly with STM32H7 nucleo?

Bilge
Associate III

Is there anybody who can ran ethernet communication correctly with stm32h7 nucleo?

43 REPLIES 43
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @Bilge​ ,

I suggest you to start with a working Ethernet example and follow the recommendations mentioned in this FAQ:

https://community.st.com/s/article/FAQ-Ethernet-not-working-on-STM32H7x3

Kind Regards,

Imen.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Bilge
Associate III

Hi,

You don't have an ethernet instance running.I didn't use freertos and there is only http example for nucleo board.I made all steps in docs but it was packets losses when I ping .

KR1
Associate III

I can affirm that the Ethernet is, as of 12/12/2018, still buggy in the H7 firmware. I have found that the only remedy to get Ethernet running on H7 MCUs (the NUCLEO-H743ZI development board, to be exact), is to use an older version of STMCube. The HTTP example LwIP_HTTP_Server_Netconn_RTOS (which is suggested as a proper working implementation in the online FAQ) can only properly work with STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.1.0. The same exact example from the latest firmware package (1.3.0) is only operational for a couple of minutes. After some time, the device simply becomes unresponsive: it does not respond to ping prompts and the MCU-implemented website does not load anymore. I have tested the LwIP_HTTP_Server_Netconn_RTOS example from both FW_1.1.0 and FW_1.3.0 on the same development board and on the same network (I should also add that I didn't add any code of my own), and I can assure that the example from the older firmware works just fine, whereas the newer one is unstable.

I really wish this issue is fixed in the firmware update.

Bilge
Associate III

Thank you for reply.I decided to change stm32h7 mcu and I will think to buy i.mx rt 1020 mcu of nxp.ST employees always give same reply about ethernet communication for stm32h7 nucleo board.

Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @Bilge​ ,

Sorry for the inconvenience it may bring you.

Can you please provide more details on your issue and the steps you have followed that can help us of the further analysis. 

Please check the connection on Jumpers JP6 & JP7 and try to close these jumpers correctly, replacing the header plugs by soldering. Then, keep us informed about your updates.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind Regards,

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
KR1
Associate III

Dear Imen,

This issue has nothing to do with physical connections. Quite a few people in this forum have notified about this issue on the H7 series. It is clearly a firmware fault. I would advise the STM engineers to actually run the LwIP_HTTP_Server_Netconn_RTOS example (on FW 1.3.0) on the NUCLEO-H743ZI development board and to periodically check the board's status by pinging it (or by reloading the pre-programmed webpage). The device will eventually become unreachable. It is hard to pin-point when this failure exactly happens. In my experience the Ethernet crash can occur from several minutes to several hours of device running time.

Dear Imen,

I think so, too.

1. I was testing with CycloneTCP and same condition.

- It is good work.

2. I was testing with H7_HAL_v1.1.0 and same condition.

- It is good work, too.

- I exchanged v.1.2.0 and v1.1.0 in ST_HAL_Driver(with LwIP).

3. I was reporting with ST engineer about this problem.

- He tested about this. and He acknowledged the problem.

- He decided to report the problem to his headquarters 2 months ago. But, I don't response it from ST yet.

So, I think that HAL Library(with LwIP) have some bug about ethernet.

Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello All,

We confirm the ping issue with the package STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.3.0.

The problem was fixed internally and will be available in next release of STM32CubeH7 V1.4.0, which will be available next year.

Attached you will find the ethernetif.c which contains the fix of the issues reported within STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.3.0.

Please, keep us informed about your progress on this issue and feel free to share feedback with us.

Happy Holiday season!

Kind Regards,

Imen

Thanks
Imen

Dear imen,

Thanks for your reply.

I was disappointed with the formal response, previously.

I will test your code on my board.

And, I will report for you as result.

Thanks again.