cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is CubeMx so slow?

yakabmarci
Senior

With every new release cubmx is getting slower and slower. At this point it is not usable, after i change some setting i have to wait several seconds ~10sec for the gui to update, and in the time is updating everything is frozen and apparently doing 'nothing'. Older versions work fine, i noticed the newer version i use, the slower it is. Is it just me, or this is how it supposed to work. I have a modern pc, with top specs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nawres GHARBI
ST Employee

Hi @yakabmarci​ 

STM32CubeMX is more and more complex to give you more and better functionalities.

A huge work is on going for the STM32CubeMX performance and the improvements will be delivered step by step in the coming releases.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Jeroen3
Senior

The new release with all of the user interface overhauled is indeed significantly slower. I assume a few tweaks further on the roadmap will fix this. Since optimizing code for speed comes at the price of flexibility.

Usually big changes or new versions might not have nailed down exactly how it should look and function, and now the software is still somewhat malleable to user feedback. At the cost of speed or size.

Java?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
yakabmarci
Senior

so, in short, it supposed to be like this, it is sad, this was the main reason, i was attracted to the stm32 platform, initial versions were working quite fine. now sw is falling behind, other vendors have nice tools too, and with each new release they become even nicer, while st's cubemx is getting worse, i see no reason why this would be so slow, other than bad programming, st should hire some good programmers and not leave all the sw stuff to some interns, good software is very important, makes all the difference.

Jeroen3
Senior

The software being slow or in java does not say anything about the quality of the programmers. It merely indicates the quantity of programmers is not enough to write it highly optimized for the specific platform you are using.

Remember, software written with cross platform compatibility does come at the cost of performance. Because you sometimes cannot use the best method available on each platform.

yakabmarci
Senior

oh come on, are you serious? highly optimized? are we talking about a compiler or some dsp stuff, real time processing? highly optimized what? it is a configuration, code generation tool, it doesn't need to be highly optimized, just not written like crap. Common sense does not equal high optimization.

Jeroen3
Senior

A graphical user interface can be optimized for Windows, Mac os or one of the linux window managers, but not all at once.

This is the parts that of which ii think it is being slow right now.

yakabmarci
Senior

when the gui is frozen, for several seconds, it is not a gui issue anymore, it is an application issue, gui issues are things like, inconsistencies, copy paste not working, layout problems, text rendering, resizing issues, of which it has plenty. As it is now, really is not usable, 10 sec delay with every change is not acceptable, btw i switched back to the 410 version, that is still usable. You can not fix these issues with optimizing the code, you need major rework, also it would help a lot to have an architect, not just throw a bunch of programmers at it, is it still not fast enough? just add more programmers, nah. Also the gui design change is unexpected, it is not better or worse than before, just different, i am wondering, how was this top priority, someone must have thought, we already implemented all features that were requested, fixed all the bugs, everything is lightning fast, oh i know lets spice up the gui..

JHERI
Senior

I personally preferred the old gui layout, the new one takes a bit of getting use too and I don't think is anymore pleasing on the eye.

But understand what you are saying, instead of changing the layout, there maybe other priorities to work on first, before cosmetics ?

Jeroen3
Senior

I do not agree. I think the new ui defragsments many related information to one main screen.

Give it a few more iterations.