cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a microcontroller take damage from faulty soldered Joint?

unternehmen
Associate II

I have a microcontroller that restarts by switching a switch to PE1 (Pin 142).

The switch is grounded and has a resistance to VCC. PE1 is connected between resistor and switch via a low-pass filter.

I'm worried that VDD (pin 144) has a cold solder joint, because the STM32F207zg restarts after pressing up on the spot. After I soldered the pin 144, the error of restarting the switch persists.

Therefore my question, whether the STM32 can be permanently damaged by a cold solder Joint?

3 REPLIES 3
LMI2
Lead

No, you have to try harder than that.

What is the resistance of your resistor. Have you measured it. Is PE1 an input. Is your power supply sufficient. It is quite possible that yo have a short somewhere.

unternehmen
Associate II

​The pullup resistor of the switch has 10kOhm. The Input resistance of low pass filter i believe approximately 1kOhm. VCC is 3,3V but the Input pin is 5V compatible.  

PE1 is an Input in floating mode.

In addition, I still have an esd protection in front of the filter.

unternehmen
Associate II

Maybe I found the mistake. Can it be that my problem described above may be related to a floating pin 143 (PDR_ON)? I use an STM32F407ZG and I found out that the STM32F207 does not provide this function (power supply supervisor). I also have no problems with the STM.

I just do not understand why. Can anyone explain that to me?