cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to interface ST25DV04K with PC software?

Huzaifah Limbada
Associate II

Hello all,

I just got my new toy before few days named as ST25DV04K Dynamic NFC/RFID Tag.

I have downloaded the firmwares, applications and rest of the things from the https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/st25dv-discovery.html#design-scroll.

I have observed few things while I'm observing its code which is downloaded from same link and i've found that they have included the USB drivers but won't call even not trying to manage the input from the USB(If I'm not wrong).

Now I want to use it through the PC software, for that i need guidance to to get suggestion like which software I have to prefer, how to manage the GUI communication for that what are the implementation I have to do in program, such things.

Can anyone please help me for this and guide me.

Little help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rene Lenerve
ST Employee

Hi @Huzaifah Limbada​,

I didn't find any reference source code for this part of USB communication on PC side from st web site (only executable demos). But looking in google there is a lot of examples.

I don't know which IDE you are using but if you have keil MDK-ARM, there is an example for the USB HID (PC Software + Firmware specific board) in the installed path ( look here for example https://www.keil.com/pack/doc/mw/USB/html/dev_hid_tutorial.html).

To answer the second question, I think you should use the HID protocol which is intend to exchange data between a host and a device over USB. Mass storage is intended for storage exchange, ... all examples are explained in the previous link.

Hope this can help you.

Regards.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Rene Lenerve
ST Employee

Hello Huzaifah Limbada,

As you wrote, in the ST25DV Discovery firmware the USB drivers are present but they are not used in the demo.

To better understand your needs, I will ask some questions:

• What kind of hardware link do you intend to use? There are 2 USB connectors on the board Mini USB and Micro USB. The Mini USB is connected to ST-Link debugger (embedded on the board), with a link to the MCU via UART so it is possible to exchange data through the USB to UART bridge. The Micro USB is directly connected to the MCU, so it will communicate through USB protocol.
  • You talked about PC Software, but is it an application that you already started to develop from scratch or you plan to do, or is it an existing application?

Regards.

Huzaifah Limbada
Associate II

Hello @Rene Lenerve​ ,

Thanks for your reply!

I want to use the Micro USB by which I can directly transmit the data or receive the data with PC software as ST build for the ST25R3911B.This is regarding the first one and for the second question I'm planning to use applications provided by ST.

Huzaifah

Hello @Rene Lenerve​ ,

Thanks for your reply!

I want to use the Micro USB by which I can directly transmit the data or receive the data with PC software as ST build for the ST25R3911B.This is regarding the first one and for the second question I'm planning to use applications provided by ST.

Huzaifah

Rene Lenerve
ST Employee

Hi @Huzaifah Limbada​,

There is no example ready to use for this kind of use case. The ST25DV04K is an EEPROM accessible through I²C. It doesn't need specific command nor nfc standardize commands (only read and write on I²C), this means the ST25DV doesn't need MCU firmware to be functionnal

The STR3911B is a reader and cannot work in standalone (without an MCU). The ST25R3911B PC Software is intended to work with the reader, to configure, drive in the nfc standard.

I don't know what you will plan to do but if you intend to drive only the ST25DV it would be easier to create the application from scratch.

On the MCU side you can refer to examples showing how to initialize and configure the USB in device mode. Examples are available in the STM32CubeF4 examples.

Regards.

Hello @Rene Lenerve​ 

Thanks for your time and helpful reply, as you mentioned in last message

"if you intend to drive only the ST25DV it would be easier to create the application from scratch".

About this only i want to know like if any open source application is available from ST so i can directly refer that and make modification as per my requirement.

Thanks in advance!

About the "USB in device mode" which device mode I've to select like custom HID, HID, Mass storage or any other??

Rene Lenerve
ST Employee

Hi @Huzaifah Limbada​,

I didn't find any reference source code for this part of USB communication on PC side from st web site (only executable demos). But looking in google there is a lot of examples.

I don't know which IDE you are using but if you have keil MDK-ARM, there is an example for the USB HID (PC Software + Firmware specific board) in the installed path ( look here for example https://www.keil.com/pack/doc/mw/USB/html/dev_hid_tutorial.html).

To answer the second question, I think you should use the HID protocol which is intend to exchange data between a host and a device over USB. Mass storage is intended for storage exchange, ... all examples are explained in the previous link.

Hope this can help you.

Regards.