cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN interface Difference between STM32F103R8 (64pin) and STM32F103T8 (36pin)

MRisu
Associate II

Hello there

Because I have less space on a new PCB and don't need all of the I/Os I want to take the smaller STMF103T8. As far as I know its the same silicium with less pins. So I can take the same software with some adjustments in the HAL.

With the R8 the CAN interface was remapped on PB8/PB9. The T8 has the CAN interface only on PA11/PA12. So I tested the CAN interface on my original R8 with the PA11/PA12 and it worked perfectly. But for some reason it doesn't work with the T8.

I don't find any posibilities anymore, so I hope you can help me.

Here are my port configurations for the CAN interface which works with the R8 but doesn't work with the T8:

RCC->APB2ENR |= 0x00000004;   // enable port A

AFIO->MAPR  &= 0xFFFF9FFF;   // clear bits 14:13 (CAN1_REMAP)

GPIOA->CRH  &= 0xFFF0FFFF;   // clear PA12 configuration

GPIOA->CRH  |= 0x00090000;   // PA12: alternate function push-pull (2MHz)

I've also seen, that the T8 has some restrictions with timer1 if you use the CAN interface. But I'm using timer4.

3 REPLIES 3
MRisu
Associate II

No ideas or is it a difficult description?

It's a 10+ year old part design, and I don't care?

For F1's pay attention to what else is mapped to those pins and remap that off somewhere else, off into the void if necessary. Check the errata. Check a decade of posting on related topics.

Have you enabled the AFIO clock to allow remapping to work?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
MRisu
Associate II

Yeah AFIO clock is enabled, otherwise it wouldn't works with the 64pin R8...

it must has a difference between the two controllers what influence the CAN interface.