cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cache problem with FreeRTOS and MPU

JLima
Associate II

Hello everyone,

For my current project I need the FreeRTOS+MPU to work on H7. I got it somehow to work with DTCMs. However, when I try to move the complete memory allocation to the AXI SRAMs the FreeRTOS is hanging in the systick handler (there is a for(;;) there and goes out with break instructions).

After some experiments it was found that the system works if I do the following:

• Disable the DCACHE completly or
  • Set an MPU region for the freeRTOS heap memory as non-cacheable (TEX = 001b, c = 0b, b = 0b)

I dont understand how I can have a cache coehrency problem since I dont have any DMAs or other processes writing into the AXI ram. The project is very very simple. It is just one thread and in the run function I have a counter incrementing.

To map the FreeRTOS to H7 I follow the steps on the following thread:

https://freertos.org/FreeRTOS_Support_Forum_Archive/May_2018/freertos_Cortex-M7_MPU_a9b4e3d5j.html

I attach the Attolic project here. in the main.h there are two compile switches. The system works if the ENABLE_DCACHE is commented or both ENABLE_DCACHE and ENABLE_NON_CACHEABLE_FREERTOS_HEAP are enabled.

I am running out of ideas what to try. Any help would be great.

I am using a Nucleo board in the project

THanks a lot,

Best regards,

Joao

4 REPLIES 4
JLima
Associate II

​Just tried with an STMF7 nucleo board the exactly same example and putting the data in the SRAM1 and it works...It looks to be really H7 specific...

JLima
Associate II

Still stuck with this issue..Anyone from ST that could take a look? What can I still try from the firmware perspective? Since it works with F7, I could imagine is either some difference to the H7 that I am not aware or maybe an HW bug.

JLima
Associate II

My H7 board has the r1p1 and F7 the r1p0. So I guess the H7 board is even newer. Was there any changes in terms of cache management between these two revisions???

JLima
Associate II

Could someone from ST please reply? This is currently a major blocking problem in my current project