cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it required to program STM32L1 for using BlueNRG-1/2 in network coprocessor mode ?

MH1
Associate II

Hello,

I would like to design my own PCB for a Bluetooth Mesh project. Currently I am using STEVAL-IDB007V1 and STEVAL-IDB008V2 boards by configuring and provisioning them as mesh nodes through smartphone. I want to know whether it is required to program the STM32L151CBU6 microcontroller in order to use BlueNRG-1/2 in network coprocessor mode ?

In the documentation, it is mentioned that "In order to configure the BlueNRG-2 device as a network coprocessor, the device must be programmed with a specific application, named DTM (direct test mode). " Moreover , it is also mentioned that

"The STM32L microcontroller on the board is not intended to be programmed by users. ST provides a preprogrammed firmware image for the sole purpose of interfacing BlueNRG-1, BlueNRG-2 to a USB host device (e.g., a PC)."

So, I want to ask if I want to design my own PCB for BlueNRG-1/2, then is it required to program firstly the STM32L microcontroller with the DTM source code provided in SDK ? Kindly let me know the necessary steps.

12 REPLIES 12
MH1
Associate II

@alok​ @STM Community​  ...Could you please help ?

alok
Senior

Hi MH,

The BlueNRG-1, -2 can be used in 2 modes: Network coprocessor mode or Application processor

The comments you have mentioned are for Network co-processor mode. Because in this case the external controller (STM32) is needed.

For the Mesh firmware example you are using in STSW_BNRG-Mesh solution, the BlueNRG-1, 2 are used in Application mode. The device can work independently without a need of STM32

Hope it is clear

In addition, the STM32 available on the STEVAL-IDB007V1 and STEVAL-IDB008V2 boards is to provide the USB-UART bridge. Also, it provides functionality to drag-drop the binary file to program the BlueNRG-1, -2.

So, you can design your own hardware without any STM32L1

MH1
Associate II

Hi Alok,

Thank you for reply. If I use only BlueNRG-1,2 without STM32L1, how can I program the output or binary files to BlueNRG-1,2 on my own hardware board ? What changes do I need to make to connections of BlueNRG-1,2 in schematic of STEVALIDB007V1 board ?

alok
Senior

Hi MH,

You need the SWD connections. Refer to schematics for example for this design which is based on BlueNRG-2: STEVAL-BCN002V1B  

Schematics are inside the Databrief:

https://www.st.com/resource/en/data_brief/steval-bcn002v1b.pdf

You will surely need a programming tool like ST-LINK/V2

MH1
Associate II

Hi @alok​ ,

I tested the SWD connection to program BlueNRG-1,2 using ST Link/v2 and it worked. I want to further confirm that for programming mesh firmware on BlueNRG-1,2, there is no need of sheet 2 in this schematic and can I implement mesh firmware by using only sheet 1 and 3 of this schematic ?

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/layouts_and_diagrams/schematic_pack/group0/7c/37/69/17/1f/c8/42/e8/STEVAL-IDB007V2_schematics/files/STEVAL_IDB007V2_schematic.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.STEVAL_IDB007V2_schematic.pdf

MH1
Associate II

Hi @alok​ ,

Can you also tell me the value of inductor "L5" used for both STEVAL-IDB007V2 and STEVAL-IDB008v2 ?

Its value is not mentioned either in schematic or BOM.

alok
Senior

Hi MH,

In my opinion, L5 will depend on the recommendation of the XTAL used. You can leave the footprint for the bead

MH1
Associate II

Hi ,

Can you let me know the values for both cases i.e. for 32MHz crystal (used in STEVAL-IDB008V2) and 16 MHz crystal (used in STEVAL-IDB007V2) ?

MH1
Associate II

Hi @alok​ ,

Could you please reply to this question as well ?