cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ubuntu install of STM32CubeProgrammer not working

James Wilson
Associate

Hi

I am trying to install STM32CubeProgrammer on Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS.

It apparently installs OK and places an icon on the desktop. When I start the app., a dialog with

"You are using OpenJDK, please Install OpenJFX

Debian: sudo apt-get install openjfx

or install Oracle JRE"

I have tried running "sudo apt-get install openjfx" but the problem still persists.

java is apparently installed

java --version

openjdk 10.0.2 2018-07-17

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 10.0.2+13-Ubuntu-1ubuntu0.18.04.3)

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0.2+13-Ubuntu-1ubuntu0.18.04.3, mixed mode)

could some one please help?

thanks

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ubuntu's OpenJFX is tied with OpenJDK 8.

You have two options:

1. If STM32CubeProgrammer supports OpenJDK 8, set your default Java as OpenJDK 8 using "sudo update-alternatives --config java"
  2. If STM32CubeProgrammer does not support OpenJDK 8 then you can try to use official OpenJDK/OpenJFX distributions instead of the ones in Ubuntu's repository (this is not a nice solution though)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ubuntu's OpenJFX is tied with OpenJDK 8.

You have two options:

1. If STM32CubeProgrammer supports OpenJDK 8, set your default Java as OpenJDK 8 using "sudo update-alternatives --config java"
  2. If STM32CubeProgrammer does not support OpenJDK 8 then you can try to use official OpenJDK/OpenJFX distributions instead of the ones in Ubuntu's repository (this is not a nice solution though)
James Wilson
Associate

thanks "After Forever", I tried option 1 and selected the option to set to "/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java" which allowed the app to start.

cheers

James

Adopting your option, i get this message(with openjfx installed):

$ ./STM32CubeProgrammerLauncher

./STM32CubeProgrammerLauncher

/home/beantowel/STMicroelectronics/STM32Cube/STM32CubeProgrammer/bin

JavaFX NOT installed => warn user

Exception in thread "main" java.awt.AWTError: Assistive Technology not found: org.GNOME.Accessibility.AtkWrapper

at java.awt.Toolkit.loadAssistiveTechnologies(Toolkit.java:807)

at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:886)

at java.awt.Window.getToolkit(Window.java:1358)

at java.awt.Window.init(Window.java:506)

at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:537)

at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:420)

at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:233)

JQuan
Associate II

@beantowel FWIW I was able to work around this problem on Debian by using Oracle's official JRE. https://www.java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp + https://github.com/chrishantha/install-java

debugging
Senior III

My JAVA_HOME default to OpenJDK for coding Android applications to avoid all the legal stuff Oracle is throwing upon the community making everyone (including corporate management) scared of licens fees they "might" have to pay when one does not understand or TL;DR all the "small letters" . Since java fee may apply to embedded systems, it might be good if STM would switch to support OpenJDK (or another way to elminate this anxiety). I installed OpenJFX but that did not help. (Applies to Orcale's java it seems))

In my case no JAVA_HOME was set in any of my profile, nor the path to it. IThe reason was that something had sets some symbolic links :

command -v java

/usr/bin/java

ls -l /usr/bin/java

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Jan 6 2018 /usr/bin/java -> /etc/alternatives/java

ls -l /etc/alternatives/java

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 Sep 16 21:47 /etc/alternatives/java -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/bin/java

To switch to the JRE following I did

sudo update-alternatives --config java

Selection   Path                                           Priority  Status

------------------------------------------------------------

* 0           /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/bin/java     1101     auto mode

1           /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/bin/java     1101     manual mode

2           /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java  1081     manual mode

3           /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/bin/java         1081     manual mode

<Select 3>

source ~/.profile

sudo update-alternatives --config java

Selection   Path                                           Priority  Status

------------------------------------------------------------

0           /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/bin/java     1101     auto mode

1           /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/bin/java     1101     manual mode

2           /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java  1081     manual mode

* 3           /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/bin/java         1081     manual mode

The JAVA_HOME variable was not set accordingly to the jre as well.

Now run /STM32CubeProgrammer or STMCubeprogrammerIDE

et voila ! 😍 Love...

Plug in the STLINK and 😂 .. too much love..

0690X00000ARG24QAH.png