cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H743 SDIO interface low voltage mode help improve speeds ?

Linas L
Senior II

Hello, I am designing massive board with STM32H743 and 10CL120YF780I7G FPGA, so I want best of the best for periferals.

It is good idea to have SDcard interface to load large data sets or save large tables to SDCard.

As far as i rememmber STM32F4 was not very fast with SDcards, but how about STM32H7 ? IT does say that supports 100MHz SDIO interface as well as low voltage mode where i need separate chip to work, but what is the gains of this modification ?

Does it allows to have higher speed ? Does it also helps to use larger cards, like 64GB like SanDisk Extreme PRO UHS1/3 ?

I was unable to find any data on this....

2 REPLIES 2

>>As far as i remember STM32F4 was not very fast with SDcards,

The interface was capable of 17 MBps reading

The H743I-EVAL has a transceiver on board, but there really isn't much in the way of solid software support for the faster methods.

The faster grade cards tend to write a lot faster, but you generally need to be writing large and aligned blocks to get the best numbers.

For high capacity cards use the most current FatFs, not the one shipped in the HAL libraries. I've used 0.13b against 200 and 400 GB cards on STM32 platforms.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Linas L
Senior II

Looks like it it supprts UHS I cards, at least this is what example of SDIO interface says.