cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird printf behavior on STM32F3Discovery board

happygeek
Associate II

I use MXCube to create a simple project based on the STM32F3Discovery board. Only USB is enabled as a CDC device. Other settings remain untouched. The code is generated for Truestudio.

In Truestudio I created the syscalls.c by New->Other->System Calls->Minimal System Calls Implementation. In syscalls.c I add the following code for the function _write as follows:

int _write(int32_t file, uint8_t *ptr, int32_t len)

{

/* Implement your write code here, this is used by puts and printf for example */

/* return len; */

CDC_Transmit_FS(ptr, len);

errno = ENOSYS;

return -1;

}

Only one line of code is inserted to redirect the printing to the USB CDC device.

In main.c I added the following code in the main loop to test the printing:

while (1)

{

/* USER CODE END WHILE */

/* USER CODE BEGIN 3 */

printf("Hello World!!");

HAL_Delay(500);

}

/* USER CODE END 3 */

Two lines of codes are added to print "Hello Word!!" and delay 500ms.

The code compiles ok but there is no message printed on the console. Interestingly, if I change the print content to:

printf("Hello World!!\n");

That is, with a carriage return inserted in the printed string the strings appear on the console one by one as would be expected.

I've tried various combinations to verify this behavior. With/without RTOS. newlib and newlib-nono. The behavior is consistent. I traced the code a little and it looks like _write is only called if there is a carriage return '\n' in the string to be printed. If I send several strings without carriage return and followed by a string with a carriage return all previous strings will be printed out in one shot. It looks like the printf function buffers data sent to it and calls _write() only if it receives a carriage return.

This behavior is quite unusual. Is there any way to change it so that printf would call _write() immediately without waiting for a carriage return?

Regards,

Chris Chang

1 REPLY 1
Piranha
Chief II