cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the SPV 1040 suitable for using multiple PV cells in parallel? And how can increase the efficiency for Li-io charging?

PFran.19
Associate

Hey

So I'm currently building a Solar charger for a 10000mAh Li-Io battery pack and I came across the SPV1040.

For the project the charge current does not have to be high so the batterys are just slowly charging but I wanted to use Solar panels with about 1 Watt of power. So wonder if I can use the SPV 1040 with multiple Solar Panels in parallel. Let's say a 3 solar panels with 2V and 200mA at their maximum power point. Is that possible?

And I have one additional question about the SPV 1040. When I'm charging a Li-Io battery I need a external charge controller. In a sample circuit for the SPV 1040 a L6924D is used for this. But this is a linear charger, so when I estimate an efficiency of 90% for the 1040 and my battery is about nearly discharged at 3.3V. I get an overall efficiency of 70% (In case the 1040 outputs 4.2V). Is there a better way, to maximize efficiency?

1 REPLY 1
KVisa
Associate

Hi

How do you find the overall functionality of the circuit design you described above. I've had a view issues with devices deployed in the field. They just died down.

Regards Kegan