cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can SWIM interface also provide power to target board while debugging ?

Prasad11
Associate

On STM8 controller the 4-pin SWIM interface has a power pin (pin#1) that has been indicated to sense the target voltage. Can this pin be repurposed some way to drive the target board ? So SWIM interface provides output power so the target circuitry does not need separate power source for low power designs say (~100mW). The SWIM itself powers the target while debugging if needed.

4 REPLIES 4
lyoy
Associate III

I am also trying to power my very minimal circuit through the SWIM interface. Seems from OP's question that the default is that VDD is connected to SWIM only for sensing. Not what I thought/hoped!

Can someone confirm?

If you're using an authentic ST-LINK/V2 there's a supply pin on the 20-pin JTAG Header, see user manual..

>>Can someone confirm?

Should easy enough to measure with a multi-meter, surely?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Related, be clear about what you're using..

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00001TdycKSAR/how-to-connect-stlink-v2-with-tagconnect-cable

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

I'm using a clone of the original ST-LINK/V2. I measured between pin 19 on the JTAG and pin 3 on the SWIM connector, and sure enough, I have 3,3V there. I'm assuming it's alright to connect those two then?