cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSM6DSL + LIS2MDL noise in one acceleration axis

Florin Stroiescu
Associate II

Hi,

I am using the setup with LSM6DSL + LIS2MDL. All works fine, with the exception that once started the conversion to FIFO with sensor fusion, at 104 sps, I observe significant periodical (around 22 samples cycles) noise on the last acceleration axis (Z). With LIS2MDL stopped there is no noise. More, if I disable the internal pull-up resistors, the noise disappears as well.

Any advice on this?

Many thanks,

Florin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Miroslav BATEK
ST Employee
7 REPLIES 7
Miroslav BATEK
ST Employee

First can you share your schematic?

Here it is, Miroslav.

Many thanks,

Florin

Miroslav BATEK
ST Employee

The schematic looks ok, but I have a few more questions:

• Is the capacitor C3 close to the LIS2MDL, the magnetometer generates significant peak current so the capacitor should be as close as possible.
  • Which internal pull-up resistor has impact on the noise? If you disable the interrupt are you able to read data from the magnetometer.
  • Is the INT2 pin configured as input in MASTER_CONFIG register (START _CONFIG = 1).

Hi Miroslav,

Thank you for your time, and valuable questions!

The answers are as follows:

• C3 is shared between LIS2MDL and LSM6DSL, just near the power pins, and it was not the problem (as detailed below);
  • The pull-up resistors that are impacting the noise are the Master I2C internal bus pull-ups - again, this proved to not be the problem too;
  • The problem was with INT2 configuration, I would say that the description in datasheet is a bit ambiguous, or at least it confused me:

"START_CONFIG

Sensor Hub trigger signal selection. Default value: 0

(0: Sensor hub signal is the XL/Gyro data-ready;

1: Sensor hub signal external from INT2 pad.)"

After configuring it as per your suggestion (OK, done at the right time in the initialization sequence of the assembly), all works like a charm!

Thank you!

Florin

Miroslav BATEK
ST Employee

Good to hear.

Indeed, the datasheet is not very clear.

You can also refer to application note AN5040 which goes more into details.

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/application_note/group0/26/07/3f/bf/12/55/47/62/DM00402563/files/DM00402563.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00402563.pdf

Thank you Miroslav, indeed, the Application note is more clear, but all is easy after sorting it out 😁.

devilish
Associate

Hi can u please explain me how did u connect lsm6dsl and lis2mdl and what are the things u configured. Like how did u know what to configure. Also one last thing how did u plot.