cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a fatFS example that can be used with internal flash memory ?

ranran
Senior II

Hello,

In STM32H7 cube examples I see the following related fatFS examples:

en.stm32cubeh7\STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.3.0\Projects\STM32H743I_EVAL\Applications\FatFs

FatFs_MultiDrives

FatFs_RAMDisk

FatFs_SDRAMDisk

FatFs_USBDisk_RTOS

FatFs_USBDisk_Standalone

FatFs_uSD_DMA_RTOS

FatFs_uSD_DMA_Standalone

FatFs_uSD_Standalone

Which of the above can be used with the internal flash memory ?

Thank you,

ranran

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

QSPI or eMMC would work with FATFS. External NAND is possible, but gets more involved related to block management, wear leveling and ECC. Long term availability and support of foot-prints is complicated.

Depends also on the number and size of "files" you actually need to manage, and how often they change. One could consider journalling structures over a internal flash sector, or two.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

None of them.

T​he large block size of the internal flash and speed make it ill suited to the task.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ranran
Senior II

Thanks Clive,

Are you familiar with alternatives if needed non-volatile filesystem. We don't have sd or usb. We can only have external flash.

Thanks,

QSPI or eMMC would work with FATFS. External NAND is possible, but gets more involved related to block management, wear leveling and ECC. Long term availability and support of foot-prints is complicated.

Depends also on the number and size of "files" you actually need to manage, and how often they change. One could consider journalling structures over a internal flash sector, or two.

ranran
Senior II

Hello Clive,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Is one of the these examples can be used with nor spi :

FatFs_MultiDrives

FatFs_RAMDisk

FatFs_SDRAMDisk

FatFs_USBDisk_RTOS

FatFs_USBDisk_Standalone

FatFs_uSD_DMA_RTOS

FatFs_uSD_DMA_Standalone

FatFs_uSD_Standalone

Thank you,

Ran

Nothing is going to be a simple drop in. I'd perhaps suggest reviewing the RAM or SD card examples to provide context and perspective on how a block storage device is expected to interact. ​