cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NUCLEO-F042K6 HSE crystal

AKrup
Associate II

I want to run the NUCLEO-F042K6 on external 3V3 supply. I understand that in this case ST-LINK remains down, and I cannot use its crystal for clocking. I want to use a crystal to clock the MCU.

Looking at the schematic[1], I wonder if I can use the same crystal as the ST-LINK is using (X2) and place it on X1 pads, in this configuration:

X1: NX3225GD 8MHz EXS00A-CG04874

C12: 10pf

C13: 10pf

SB4: open

SB6: open

SB8: open

SB5: closed

SB7: closed

[1]https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/user_manual/e3/0e/88/05/e8/74/43/a0/DM00231744.pdf/files/DM00231744.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00231744.pdf

4 REPLIES 4

That would look to be the correct interpretation, and bridges.

Using 32-pin L4, not F0 here.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
AKrup
Associate II

Thank you, Clive. What confuses me is that the 32-pin package has only one set of of OSC_IN/OSC_OUT pins, while other packages have dedicated OSC32_IN/OSC32_OUT pins for 32kHz low-speed crystals. I want to make sure I'm connecting the right oscillator to the right pins :=)

Does the 32-pn package not support a 32kHz crystal, or can you configure the same pins to accept either kHz or MHz crystals?

0690X000006CKFlQAO.png0690X000006CKFvQAO.png

Perhaps something best discussed with an FAE.

I'm using a 32-pin L4, and here PA0 is CK_IN, and tests there indicate it is not bonded to the OSC_IN pin, but is more architectural.

Given the relatively low cost of the NUCLEO this is the sort of thing I'd test in real-life before committing to a design.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

How do I get hold of an ST FAE? st.com's "contact us page" is broken. I was hoping an FAE would turn up here and answer my question directly.