cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need quickest path for minimal PCB which includes LQFP144 STM32F407GTx device. Looking for reference design or schematic with BOM. For now I am reading AN4488 Application note. I am using Orcad schematic and layout software. Thanks

JimH
Associate II

The only functionality my board will need to support is digital IO, two RS485 ports and a single RS232 port, but they do not need to be on the first version of the design. We just need to see the board come alive and toggle some IO lines to verify that the code has been properly downloaded.

14 REPLIES 14
T J
Lead

its much easier to start with the cube to layout the pins...

then do the pcb

JimH
Associate II

Agree totally about the STM32Cube, but I am also looking for reference designs so I can get an idea of which components people are using voltage regulation, bypass caps, etc. This is my first board so I want to minimize risk. So if I can start off just copying a working prototype we can get through the hurdles of coming up to speed with the Orcad software, dealing with PCB fab houses ect. I know, you are focused on the final code and how the pins will be utilized, but we would just be happy at this point to see the board come alive and toggle a pin. We started off with a Olimex STM32-H407 eval board. They have a schematic, but no BOM, so I am unsure as exactly which parts they are using. An outside contractor wrote code already for this board, so they want me to make a board which will work with their code (eventually).

ST's Nucleo boards come with BOM...

JW

ST's Nucleo boards come with BOM...

JW

If there's no BOM info in the Olimex Eagle files you might try contacting them directly. And in the end there's nothing all that critical - exceptions and specifics will be noted in the device Data Sheet.

If there's no BOM info in the Olimex Eagle files you might try contacting Olimex directly. And remember that in the end there's nothing all that critical - exceptions and specifics will be noted in the device Data Sheet.

T J
Lead

You just need the SWD conector, 5 or 6 pin, I use 6 if there is room.

then just some bypass caps, its pretty easy...

just be sure you have enough Caps...

I tend to install many caps, and you can test with and without ,

then not install some of them in production.

Low ESR caps are needed for the Vcap1 and Vcap2.. but it seems to work easily, the chips are very good.

Here is part of the H7 board that runs..

I was originally looking at Nucleo boards. Unfortunately we had an outside vendor write code for the Olimex STM32 H407 with STM32F407ZGT LQFP 144. I didn't see a Nucleo board with that specific processor. I wonder if there is another processor represented by Nucleo which is a drop in replacement for the STM32F407ZGT.

T J
Lead