cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F105RB and correct way to start from a new user perspective

FF1
Associate III

Hi all!

I'm starting a new application concerning the driving of a small stepper motor by means of the L6480 driver, I'm also new with the ST software toolchain, so I kindly ask to be patient if some question may be obvious from some certain point of view.

First stage will be based on using directly the EVAL6480H-DISC board, subsequent step, when the application will be able to run properly, make my own pcb.

The microcontroller that is soldered on the demo board is the STM32F105RB, from what I've understand, by reading the document through the ST site, in order to start to develop C code for this microcontroller I've to use:

1- the STM32CubeMX code generator to speed up the peripheral configuration stage (optional but seems to me that this may be useful)

2- a C compiler like the IAR Workbench (I've used this type of compiler in the past with other ARM processor so I've some feel with it)

The developing stage of my application can be done by using the IAR compiler together a JTAG interface (like the ST-LINKV2) connected to the EVAL6480H-DISC board, in this way I'll able to write my code, debug it directly inside the microcontroller and the flash my application code to the microcontroller for future production.

To speed the flashing stage without have the need to use the compiler, so when the project will have reach the production stage with my custom pcb, I will use the DfuSe tool to perform the firmware upload and also to make eventually some upgrade, if needed, over the time. From what is my understanding, the DfuSe tool should act as a bootloader and I've simply to translate the HEX file generated by the compiler into the dfu file and then send it to the microcontroller over the USB port and by using the provided GUI (Graphical User Interface).

So at this very starting stage I kindly ask if all the above procodure make sense or if I've to perform/change some points to perform the step needed to build my final application.

Thank!

Best regards

Fabio

2 REPLIES 2
T J
Lead

Actually there are so many toolsets available it is difficult to say which is the best direction.

I use Visual Studio and GDB( $150) works very well.

production issues, yes, DFU works... the least of your problems today...

FF1
Associate III

Hi @tj​ ,

thank for your answer, of course I think that outside the official tool there are more tools available, just to know if my thinking and sequence of operation is right so I can start in developing on the right way.

Concerning your way I think you means this one:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2015/11/18/announcing-the-vs-gdb-debugger-extension/

"Earlier this year I wrote a post on how you could debug C++ code on Linux from Visual Studio. It was a bit cumbersome, but it was doable. Today we are releasing the Visual Studio GDB Debugger extension preview. This will enable debugging remote Linux targets including IoT devices."

Thank for your contribute!

Best regards

Fabio